Kubota L225 broken PTO drive

/ Kubota L225 broken PTO drive #1  

errandboy

Dear Abby,

3 years ago I bought a used L225 from a Kubota dealer showing about 900 hours. From the same dealer, I purchased a new 5' King Kutter bush hog. Since then, I have put about 60 hours on the tractor and about 8 hours on the bush hog. While mowing last weekend I hit a small clump of previously chainsawed alder stumps. This was apparently enough to break something inside the tractor. The Kutter does not have a clutch so I am asuming the new PTO shaft that came with it has a shear pin.

I guess I need to remove the plastic from the PTO shaft and find the shear pin and take a look at it. Assuming the shear pin is the right one, what do I do now?

With the PTO engaged in either high or low range, the PTO spline does not turn. The rest of the transmission shifts and runs okay.

What will it take to fix my PTO? This is my first tractor. Does this kind of thing happen often? It was all I could do to talk my wife into buying a tractor in the first place and now after only 60 hours I am looking at an expensive repair. Thankfully, my engine still runs great and my loader still goes up and down, but I feel almost worthless with my broken PTO.

But seriously,... any advice??

From, Anxious in Vermont.

/ Kubota L225 broken PTO drive #2  
Are you saying the PTO shaft itself doesn't turn with the mower disconnected and the PTO engaged?
I'd start with getting a service manual and taking a look at what could be broken and what's involved in fixing it.

/ Kubota L225 broken PTO drive #3  
Had the same thing happen when I was rotto tilling. The spring for the PTO over ride clutch broke. Involved splitting the tractor at the gearbox.

carl

/ Kubota L225 broken PTO drive #4  
i also had the same problem a couple years ago . (I have a l245dt witch i belive is close to the l225) I was hoggin the same and also hit a stump and broke the pto shaft in half.
iI had to spilt the tractor and replace the shaft.
also relized that i had installed the wrong grade bolt as the shear pin witch caused the misshap.
If the shaft dosnt turn while engaged without any implements hooked then you need to split the tractor to find the cause
spliting the tractor isnt that big of a deal.

/ Kubota L225 broken PTO drive #5  
Disconnect the mower... Check to see if the pto stub on the tractor turns.. if not.. like the others said.. ya got internal problems.

If it does spin.. check on the gearbox end of that 5' KK.. there will be a soft grade 2 bolt holding the smooth yoke to the gearbox shaft.

Question.. how big a tractor is this unit. I wa sthinking.. Some of these smaller tractors actually have enough HP to run a 5' mower pretty good.. though, may be having problems with the tranny/pto on the tractor being less able to shear the shear bolt on the 5' units. For instance.. the shear bolt on my buddies 4' hog is smaller than on my 5' hog..

Soundguy

/ Kubota L225 broken PTO drive
Thanks for the information. Additional clarification:
With the PTO shift engaged in high or low range, the splined PTO stub on the rear of the tractor does not turn.
The L225 is a 2WD with 24HP 3 cylinder diesel. The Kubota dealer sold me the 5' KK bushhog, assuring me the tractor could handle it. The bushhog was new and came with a new PTO drive shaft (Made in Italy, but I forget the name of the manufacturer.)

The dealer thinks the case will need to be split and the repiar could cost up to $1,800. I only paid $3,900 for the tractor 3 years ago and have only put 60 hours on it since I bought it.

Did the dealer sell me a bushhog that was too big for my tractor? Do I have any right at all to request that he contribute to the tractor repairs? Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks very much.

/ Kubota L225 broken PTO drive
Splitting the tractor is not that big of a deal????

It actually sounds rather intimidating to me. Any procedure manuals out there that would describe what is involved in "splitting the tractor".

Thanks!!

/ Kubota L225 broken PTO drive #8  
The actual splitting is easy - a remove dozen bolts/nuts and pull. You need to support the two halves in the middle with cribbing of some sort.

It's picking up all the pieces that fall out that is tough. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I'd probably leave it to the pros.

You can get a service manual online here ssb tractor It will let you know what your are in for.

/ Kubota L225 broken PTO drive #9  
<font color="blue"> I'd probably leave it to the pros.

</font>

I think Hazmat gave you some righteous advice.

/ Kubota L225 broken PTO drive #10  
I have an L2202DT grey market . Basic same as L245DT US model .I had to replace the PTO shaft in mine due it getting bent. Drained trans , split the tractor . Removed the bent shaft and replaced with straight shaft . Reassembled and filled with oil . This was accomplished in a day . I have never done this before though I was a mechanic for 25 years . Realy took longer to get the nerve up than to actually do the repair . Shaft and bearing were around $150 . It would be a learning experience for you if you are not mechanicly enclined . I learned a lot doing the repair . Not difficult , just takes a little thought and common sense . If you were near here I would help you . I think your tractor is almost the same as mine . If you decide to tacle this job yourself , you will have a sense of accomplishment when your done. Get a manual and read for a while and study the photos and "blow up" diagrams .