Bubbling around injector

/ Bubbling around injector #1  

RMEADOWS

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 1428
I opened the hood on my L245 today while she was running and found bubbles around the front injector. Going to tighten it tomorrow but can it be worse than a loose injector?

/ Bubbling around injector #2  
Sure, but I doubt it. I usually find mine leaking a week or two after I blead them. I tighten it while it is running so that I can see when it stops leaking.

Andy

/ Bubbling around injector #3  
If tightening it does not help, then you will need to change the seal (copper washer). But that is not that difficult of a job. Just remove line and return line then unscrew the injector. Clean off injector and clean out hole and replace washer. Then put it back together and bleed injector lines and thats it.

(When removing the hard line from the injection pump, be sure to use a backup wrench to hold lower fitting)

J.D.

/ Bubbling around injector #4  
Besides the danger of engine fans and belts, etc., if you decide to work on the injector/fuel system while the engine is running, please wear eye protection and leather gloves. Fuel injector systems run very high pressure and can inject fuel through your skin. This has the potential to be a fatal injury.

A good way to check for fuel spray is to pass/wave a piece of cardboard all around the injector and lines. If it comes out dry, go ahead if you are so inclined. If it comes out streaked with spray--shut off the engine.

Regards,

/ Bubbling around injector #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sure, but I doubt it. I usually find mine leaking a week or two after I blead them. I tighten it while it is running so that I can see when it stops leaking.

Andy

)</font>

I'm a diesel newbie so be warned, why would you be bleeding the injector lines?

/ Bubbling around injector #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm a diesel newbie so be warned, why would you be bleeding the injector lines? )</font>

Two reasons come to mind. First is bleeding the air out after running out of diesel. Second is to bleed out water/fuel mixture from a bad batch of diesel.

Some engines have a way to automatically bleed air after running out of diesel. My Kubota isn't one of them.

/ Bubbling around injector #7  
The main thing to remember when bleeding fuel lines is bleed air from tank all the way to the pump. Fuel is the lube for pump, I've seen guys just crack line at injector and crank and crank and freeze pump plungers from lack of fuel. Once fuel pump is primed, the fuel is going to come out the injector. It just takes a little longer to compress air in lines to cause inj to open. I do always crack lines for tappet style inj that produce their own pressure, but they are on larger diesels.

/ Bubbling around injector #8  
One other thing to keep in mind is that you do not want to wire brush the end of the injector. It will be somewhat carbon and that is best left alone. If you are concerned about the spray pattern then take it to a diesel pump shop and they will do whats called a pop off test on the injector. This is a gauge that tells them at what pressure the injector opens and they can see the spray pattern. All of the small holes on the spray tip are very critical to your fuel systems performance.

/ Bubbling around injector #9  
Also, changing fuel filter may require bleeding fuel lines but I have found that you usually only have to bleed up to the injection pump and rarely ever the injector lines.

Jeff

/ Bubbling around injector #10  
I just finished 50hr service on my tractor and had to blled injectors after changing fuel filter. I am a newbie too and understand from some of the pro's that this may not be necessary, but in my case it was the only way I could get tractor going again.