Future availability (parts and such)

/ Future availability (parts and such) #1  

REDBANK

Certain brands are more, let's say, well known than others. Obviously JD and Kubota are probably the most popular, and are always going to be available. My ??? is, in twenty years, is it going to be hard to find parts and service for the tractors that aren't as popular. I'm not talking about the companies being out of business, I'm saying, what if I buy model 'xx' and it is discontinued in five years? Then what?
To be more specific, I have a JD dealer five min. away, a Case IH/Cub Cadet dealer five min. away, and a Kubota dealer 20 min. away. I know Case has a good machine, but they aren't selling as many units as the other guys. I worry that if I would buy the Case, I might have to deal with parts availability trouble in the future.
Any thoughts guys?

I'm looking at units in the (+-)30hp range (jd4310/kubota l3130/case dx33)

/ Future availability (parts and such) #2  
I don't think you will have much issue with the case because it's really a Red New Holland.

/ Future availability (parts and such) #3  
As more and more oursourced/rebadged tractors from all around the world are grouped together under a brand and sold, Parts availability will become more costly and more difficult to get. It is simply a matter of say a Case tractor made in Romania ( ficticious example only) by another company out of parts sourced from several other countries, with parts supplier changes in mid production stream. All of these parts from all of these suppliers have to be gathered up and kept on hand in the USA for availability. Well with inventory/overhead reductions in industry now-a-days,..... well you see what I am getting at.

Sorry for the long post, but in my opinion parts availability/cost for tractors is destined to get worse for the consumer, due in a large part to outsourcing and the "global economy"

/ Future availability (parts and such) #4  
Your question can be applied to almost any product manufactured; autos, trucks, appliances, electronics, etc. ...and tractors. I believe the general rule is the most popular products will always have an advantage over the less popular products when it comes to replacement parts, especially over time. It only makes economic sense.

As far as tractors go, there are an awful lot of companies that are no longer in the tractor business, but parts are readily available. Names that come to mind are; FarmAll, International, Allis Chalmers, Ford, Oliver, White, Cockshut, Minneapolis Moline and many others. Many of the fore mentioned companies have been bought up by new companies and continue to offer parts availability because of their continued popularity.

Complicating factors today are the large influx of foreign manufactured tractors from locations all over the world. Most CUTs are partially or wholely manufactured overseas. Time will only tell when these tractors reach 20, 30 and even 50 plus years-old if parts and as importantly if service knowledge will be readily available.

My recommendation would be if it is of any concern to you, then I would stick to one of the most popular tractors today, increasing the odds that your tractor will have great support in the distant future.

OrangeGuy

/ Future availability (parts and such) #5  
Go into a Kubota Dealer and ask him if he has a part for a 20 year old tractor, and if Kubota has stock, then if they do have it, ask them how much it cost. You might be surprised.
Chuck M.

/ Future availability (parts and such) #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm looking at units in the (+-)30hp range (jd4310/kubota l3130/case dx33) )</font>

Of the three tractors you mentioned, I don't think you will have any trouble with parts support for 20 years or more, but if you want the best parts support of the three, you'd have to go with John Deere. There is none better.

...this from a New Holland guy. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Future availability (parts and such) #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( if you want the best parts support of the three, you'd have to go with John Deere. There is none better )</font>

In general.. I agree... JD has the best dealer parts support. However.. there are a decent amount of parts for the tractors in the 50's that are not dealer supported.. and are hard to find thru aftermarket.

On the other hand.. very popular othe rmodels.. say like the 8n.. are virtually supported down to the last nut and bolt between the dealer and aftermarket.

Just depends on the tractor make, and the dealer..

Soundguy

/ Future availability (parts and such) #8  
the reason the 8N and farmall H and those sorta tractors are so well supported for parts is that there are so many of them out there, they sold in huge numbers, now days with so many models, brands and choices there isnt any tractors that there are such huge numbers of, its profitable to make aftermarket parts for them cause theres a huge market, but in another 50 years i dont think that will be the case, to make aftermarket parts you would need to make so many different ones

/ Future availability (parts and such) #9  
True.. there were about 525,000 8n's, and 300,000? or so 9n/2n tractors, which were functionally very close.. and used many interchangeable parts. That's a pile of tractors. Guess it you have 900,000 tractors out there.. aftermarket parts may be profitable..

Soundguy

/ Future availability (parts and such) #10  
having owned a hinomoto built Massey Ferguson, parts are a real concern 20 yrs down the road. I happen to like odd ball older tractors because they are cheap, and I now have a satoh-mitsubishi, almost 30 yrs old. Parts are really only available through a few outlets, and would probaby be pretty expensive. Good thing is these units are very durable.

I would be cautious about buying a new tractor brand that hasnt established a following in the US - but Case is a brand that will probably always live on in one form or another, and the fact that the tractor is shared with New Holland doubles the chances that you will have support down the long road.

Per that Kubota comment, i have found that most parts for the original B and L series (late 70s) are still available through the dealer, with a 1-2 week delay.