Filter wrench for large filters

/ Filter wrench for large filters #1  

DiskDoctr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510
We were doing our 50hr new equipment service on the Mahindra 3510 and the hydraulic filter is about 4.25" x 10" (?).

The filter wrenches we had barely fit on the filter and being the automotive type have a thin band and deformed the filter.

We went to our local heavy equipment repair shop and bought this monster. Took the filter off easily.

About $33.

Thought I'd share the info for others who may have a similar problem.

Size really matters in this situation... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Anybody have a larger wrench?

-JC

Attachments

• 478602-Filterwrenchsmall.jpg
    478602-Filterwrenchsmall.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 453
   / Filter wrench for large filters #2  
<font color="blue"> Anybody have a larger wrench? </font>

This isn't one of those testosterone things where I say, "I have a bigger wrench." And then somebody else chimes in a says, "No, mine is larger." is it? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Actually I purchased one of the silly looking rubber strap wrenches that seems to work fairly well.

And your wrench is bigger than mine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Filter wrench for large filters #3  
My tractor is too new for me to need that yet but just in case I will need one that size, what is the K-D part number? Probably could order one through my favorite auto parts store if needed.

Thanks

/ Filter wrench for large filters
From the front of the box:

KD Heavy-Duty Oil Filter Wrench 2320.

4-1/8" to 4-21/32", 1/2" square drive.

"Fits most Mack truck filters and Ford 6.9 and 7.3L diesel oil and fuel filters"

This local shop repairs tractor trailers, coal trucks, etc. Took my new filter in, found the biggest filter wrench in this style that would fit. The filter band is about 3.5" wide (I'm estimating)

My grandfather always says that having the right tools makes all the difference.

-JC

/ Filter wrench for large filters #5  
Lisle tools makes one that's similar... napa or carquest will have em...

I use the biggest pair of "channel locks" craftsman carries on my tractor and F350. Works and I already had em...

/ Filter wrench for large filters #6  
<font color="blue">My grandfather always says that having the right tools makes all the difference. </font>

Your grandfather is a smart man.

/ Filter wrench for large filters #7  
I bought a Snap-On #A91D Strap Wrench, works great on a variety of filters, especially good on the biggies.
Hope this Helps
Eric

/ Filter wrench for large filters #8  
How about over 12" long?
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36778

The hydro filter on my blue utility tractor is a big sucker and this wrench pops it right off with no fuss. I have not measured this filter but it looks like a large auto oil filter. Its some where in the range of 4-5" in diameter.

Fred

/ Filter wrench for large filters #9  
Fred the nice thing about the strap wrenches is that they wrap around most any filter to spin it off. It really has nothing at all to do with the length of the filter. My TC-40D uses a large filter also for the HST but the strap wrench spins it right off.

/ Filter wrench for large filters
Phred,

I tried a chain wrench, but it was collapsing the filter. This was the original filter and I guess some of the places must use a welder to install them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The long filters are certainly more prone to being squashed. There is solid reinforcement at both ends, then that long section in between with basically tin covered cardboard (at least in most oil filters)

That's why I really liked the wide wrench. It gets a good grip and doesn't smash the filter.

I've used the ones like you show. They're great if you've got the room.

-JC