New Water Pump at 650 hours

/ New Water Pump at 650 hours #1  

OkieG

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 855 (24hp/19@PTO)
A couple days ago, I noticed my water pump was leaking--leaving a small puddle under the tractor. The radiator was still full, so the leak must have just started. It appears that a seal went bad.

The Operator's Manual says to change the coolant every two years. I try to be good, but somehow I missed...and it got changed it at 4 years (400 hrs), which was about 2 yrs ago. The original JD fluid was replaced by Prestone Dex-Cool...the orange stuff GM recommends for their vehicles. It has a 5yr/150,000 mile rating. It's been about 2 years since I put it in.

Did I mess up that bad by changing at 4 years? There was only 400hrs on the machine. Does antifreeze increase pump wear beyond 2yrs? Should the pump have survived the abuse?

Yesterday, I changed out the water pump and filled the radiator with the JD branded premix, rated at 5yrs/5000hrs.

OkieG

/ New Water Pump at 650 hours #2  
Is the pump aluminum? Antifreeze left in too long breaks down and forms an acid harmful to aluminum.

/ New Water Pump at 650 hours
Yes, it is aluminum. I plan on getting a new seal and tearing the pump down. I have assumed there was a seal failure, but maybe the aluminum itself is corroded. Just looking in the inflow and outflow ports, the surface metal looks OK.

By the way, I have a few quarts of old coolant to dispose of. Where is a good place to properly do that?

OkieG

/ New Water Pump at 650 hours #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( By the way, I have a few quarts of old coolant to dispose of. Where is a good place to properly do that?
)</font>
Here in my city they have a hazardous waste disposal location for old paint, batteries, chemicals of all kinds. Call the city to see if they have one in your area. John

/ New Water Pump at 650 hours #5  
OkieG
I do not know if the antifreeze or waiting to long could have caused the failure.
There has been some long discussions on using Dex-cool and other antifreeze.
Here is one thread on antifreeze.
Click Here

Another one on Dex-cool.
Click Here

There are several other threads on antifreeze. It has been almost as hot a topic as oil at times.

/ New Water Pump at 650 hours #6  
Anyone used the suspended metal piece on a chain on the bottom of your radiator cap?

It is supposed to prevent corrosion of a radiator, as I recall. It's been some time since I saw it advertised. I imagine it is some sort of sacrificial metal?

Do these work, and could it help prevent the problem OkieG had?

-JC

/ New Water Pump at 650 hours
Ron,
Thanks for the links. I feel like I fell down the rabbit hole...again. It took me a couple hundred tractor hours to figure out that diesels used diesel rated motor oil. Never owned a diesel before and had no experience. The owner's manual didn't really help much. If there was any reference made to diesel rated motor oil, it wasn't emphasized enough for me to pick up on it. The dealer must have thought I was smarter than I was. Although I do remember him saying, "Just use any good motor oil....like Penzoil." He is now retired and his dealership is closed.

Now, I am finding out how little I know about antifreeze. Diesel antifreeze?? Pemanent antifreeze?? Use the long lasting vs don't use the long lasting. DexCool is recommended by GM, but don't use it??

Well, I'm glad you steered me to those links. Maybe I'll flush to clear out any remaining DexCool and refill with something else. Although the pink stuff was kinda pretty.

Do any CUTs have "wet sleeve" construction? And what's cavitation? I've heard of pumps cavitating when air reaches the pump and disrupts fluid flow. But, I get the feeling that the coolant related cavitation I've read about is something different?

OkieG

/ New Water Pump at 650 hours #8  
Diesels are supposed to use low silicate antifreeze. I get it at my local parts store. I have no idea why they use silicates in coolant in the first place much less why low silicate would be required in a diesel. If I remember correctly, silicates are basically dirt so it would seem to me they would be an abrasive. I have been told, by some supplier or in some class I took, that all ethylene glycol antifreeze was made in only two different plants and then bottled for different distributors. That is old information, being that now they have extended life coolant, but I figure it still might be accurate for regular green coolant. I'll bet your problem was just a seal got hard and let go, lack of maintenance would eat your radiator out first because of the thinner metal. I would change out the hoses, also. Four years is pushing the reliable life span of a hose. Stick a belt on it, too.

/ New Water Pump at 650 hours #9  
Ive heard that it's all same also. The Wallyworld Supertech is every bit as good as the expensive stuff. A local wrench said a/freeze went sky high a few years back because one of the 3 plants in the nation that made it caught fire.

/ New Water Pump at 650 hours #10  
<font color="blue"> Do any Cut's have "wet sleeve" construction? In addition, what is cavitation? </font>

OkieG

I do not know if any CUT's have sleeves. My <font color="orange"> Kubota </font> B2910 does not.

Here is a post by cowboydoc that explains Cavitation. Click Here

Check out rest of the thread. Some good information in it.