How to dispense?

/ How to dispense? #1  

dliston

Silver Member
McHenry, Illinois - Right up near Wisconsin
Tractor
New Holland TC40DA
You guys come up with some of the most clever ideas I've seen. Here's a problem looking of a good solution: How does everyone dispense their hydraulic fluid? It comes in those 5 gallon buckets with that plastic hardly-a-spout - try pouring that into the filler hole in a hydraulic tranny... It is too thick to syphon... made a huge mess when dumping it into a small cup - lost about 20% on the ground... What's your setup for this stuff? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ How to dispense? #2  
Big funnel on the tranny. Just poured it right in. Of course I didn't have to lift it very high (smaller tractor)

Getting it out of the tractor was tougher. - needed 2 drain pans and you need to guess how far out the oil is going to shoot sideways.

I bought a "gear oil pump" for filling the differential on wife's car. It screws onto a 1 gallon container. Don't know if anything is available for 5 gallons...

/ How to dispense? #3  
Harbor freight has inexpenve pumps made for this they have a small handle and the top drops right down into the 5 gallon pail. they have barrel pumps 19.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34679

and http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3352 for 15 bucks, sys these are for larger buckets/barrels, but they will work for 5 gallon ones too.

I have one I bought that uses an IN/OUT stroke and is not nearly as good as you end up getting oil on YOU but still gets in tractor too.
Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ How to dispense? #4  
I have both a long flex funnel and one of the "clean" funnels with a cap on both ends that I use. The trick is to decant the oil into a smaller container. The 2-1/2 gallon containers seem to work well, but the best would be a 1 gallon container that you save and use over and over. Also, a trip to the dollar store might be worthwhile. Sometimes you can buy plastic pitchers there for a dollar and they work great for decanting fluids.

You wouldn't try to lift and pour out of a 55-gal drum, so why would you try to pour out of a 5-gal can? They are both too big. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ How to dispense? #5  
I made a PVC funnel. I took a 4" to 2" bell, then a 2" to 1" sleeve. About 3"s of 1" pipe to a 45* elbow. About 6"s of 1" pipe and another 45* elbow. Then 3"s of 1" to go into the fill hole. It works great and doesn't flop around when I am using it.

/ How to dispense? #7  
Big funnel.... Even if that big funnel is a washed out 2-liter soda bottle cut in half... anything CLEAN works. Heck.. out in my pasture I've rolled up a newspaper and made a funnel before, and poured oil in via a can in the bed of my truck...

Soundguy

/ How to dispense? #8  
I'm with Soundguy. Poke a vent in 5gal lid and use the 2 and 3l pop botttles I save. Running a 2' X 1/4" metel rod down thru neck into fill hole keeps it in place and gives something to steady on while pouring Throw 'em away when done so I don't have to worry about cleaning them for next fill. One of the great inventions of all time- good for freezing fish, individual hotbox for spring transplants, ice chest freezer packs ........

/ How to dispense? #9  
Hi Doug,
I'm with Jinman. I pour into 1 or 2 1/2 gallon plastic containers. Sometimes the tractors reservoir will only take fluid so fast and holding up a 5 gallon can can be tough. Then when you do set it down and pick it up to pour again, you get that jet propelled first pour.

And I pour those containers outside where a little spill isn't as irritating.

Curt

/ How to dispense? #10  
Soundguy, I'm attaching a photo to show what is involved with filling the tranny on the TC40DA that Dliston has. Notice the yellow cap in this photo. It's extremely difficult to get any funnel into this spot because the fuel tank is so close. A 2-liter bottle funnel would end up falling on the ground and make a mess. With a small decanter, you can hold the funnel with one hand and pour with the other.

On other tractors, I'm sure it's easier. It's just that on the one he asked about, a 5-gal pail is just "asking for it." /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 482777-JimsTnT2.jpg
    482777-JimsTnT2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 185