Help with F150 rough idle/hesitation/vibration

/ Help with F150 rough idle/hesitation/vibration #41  
Bigun,

Of course my comments were made somewhat tongue-in-cheek, as is the following:

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Another way of looking at it is you now have 8 times as many chances to have trouble with a coil. )</font>

Sure. But I would say each of those coils is only working 1/8th as hard and is therefore less stressed and less likely to fail. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have no idea how these coils are wired up but I would be willing to bet at some point they have a common component that makes them all fire, the computer or for sure the battery. When this common component fails all 8 coils will go dead. )</font>

Isn't this true of every vehicle?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The thing that killed my ’84 Ford and my ’83 Toyota dead in their tracks were the little spark igniters on the distributor. Does the 8 coil version have one, eight, or none of these? )</font>

None. Those haven't been used in years. The coils are driven by the PCM (computer) in a manner nearly identical to the way it drives each fuel injector. I have never replaced a PCM because it failed to drive a coil. That certainly doesn't mean it never happens though.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The point is I just don’t think the consumer is getting the $700-800 difference in cost worth of value in a system like this verses the cost and reliability of the previous electronically fired single coil systems. )</font>

The cost isn't anywhere near that. You just need a simple coil on top of each spark plug and a little different PCM. No more complex distributors, no cap, rotor, plug wires, ignition module, or any of that stuff to wear out or break. Besides, the old systems would probably never make it these days with the emissions restrictions the way they are.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Ford fans don’t think I am knocking Ford, I drive one myself but it has zero ignition coils. )</font>

I hope you don't drive a Power Stroke Diesel. That is by far one of the most complex engine management systems around. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Take care,

Jay

/ Help with F150 rough idle/hesitation/vibration #42  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I hope you don't drive a Power Stroke Diesel. That is by far one of the most complex engine management systems around. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Help with F150 rough idle/hesitation/vibration #43  
OH guys the NEW SUPER DUTY comes out in a FEW days /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif They are ONE UPPING everyone AGAIN! WHEEEEE.

Markm /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Help with F150 rough idle/hesitation/vibration #44  
<font color="blue"> 2001 F150 sometimes has rough idle & hesitates under light acceleration, but if you mash the pedal it runs fine. The hesitation is accompianed by a vibration.

Of course the problem is intermittant. Dealer replaced Idle air control valve to the tune of $200. But it didn't solve the problem.

Please help. </font>

Sounds just like a recent problem I had with a Nissan pickup. It was a sticking ERG valve.