How to fix Bent holder (loader to bucket bracket)?

/ How to fix Bent holder (loader to bucket bracket)? #1  

Cdash

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4100
Today's unfortunate incident:

I was clearing some brush with my new toothbar, and a stick must have poked the retainer pin that locks the bucket on my JD 410 loader (on my JD 4100).

Before I knew it, one side of the bucket attachment poped off, while the other side was securely attached, and bent the poop out of the holder (JD parts term for the bracket). I managed to get it off, but not sure how to straighten. I don't have anything that can do it, and the only thing I can think of is a machine shop with a big press. I don't think heating would work, since I'd have to heat up 2 sides and I am not sure I'd get it straigt enough.

I've attached a pic from JD parts so you can understand what it is. I don't have a digi cam handy, so no photos. If you look in the attached pic, what I have is the same part, but the top part is bent about 3 inches over from vertical (think of a large sideways force on the top of it). On the left side you can see the two bushings, the lower one is where it attaches (pivot point) to the loader arms, and the upper one is where the cylinder attaches. A lot of the bend is above the cylinder attachement, but it bent below there also.

JD parts has it listed as $66, so not too bad if I just have to suck it up and buy new. I'd prefer to fix (cheaply) if possible. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 488059-Image2.jpg
    488059-Image2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 415
   / How to fix Bent holder (loader to bucket bracket)? #2  
I understand how it is bent from your description, and I suspect that by the time you paid someone to fix it (it sounds like you don't have the tools to do it yourself), the $66 for a new part would be cheaper, and nicer looking.

Otherwise, heat it up and hammer it over. It's already bent, the worst that happens now is you spend $66.

/ How to fix Bent holder (loader to bucket bracket)? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( JD parts has it listed as $66, so not too bad if I just have to suck it up and buy new. )</font>

Actually, I'm surprised it's only $66. They usually mark stuff up more than that. Getting the bent part you have back into perfect alignment may be a chore and would likely take a lot of your time and energy and still not be exactly right.

Personally, I'd bite the bullet now rather than spend any more time on it, yet there can be some satisfaction in fixing the part rather than giving in to the modern temptation of "just buy a new one." You just have to choose your battles.

Cliff

/ How to fix Bent holder (loader to bucket bracket)?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( JD parts has it listed as $66, so not too bad if I just have to suck it up and buy new. )</font>

Actually, I'm surprised it's only $66.
)</font>

I am too! When I priced out a new hood after denting mine, I almost had a stroke. I find that the things I think will be expensive, really are not. I am sure there is a good chunk of profit in it, but not too bad. I supose it could have been much, much worse.

/ How to fix Bent holder (loader to bucket bracket)? #5  
I have the tools and machinery to fix what you are talking about. However, for $66 I wouldn't touch it. I guess what I'm saying is that, to fix it right where it wouldn't drag on either side or your loader arms, to work properly and not look like crap, I would have more time in the repair than you may think. I'd likely charge more than $66 to fix it. If either the left or right side of the bracket (holder) is off, it will wear a spot in your loader arm and likely cause accelerated wear on your loader pins.