Rust removal tool

/ Rust removal tool #11  
Bob,
I had to print that for my DIY library, These always a smart cookie out-there, just brilliant. I need an emotion-icon for brilliant. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Rust removal tool #12  
JC, the needle scaler was the first thing I thought of when the original post was made. But I've never actually used one; just repaired a couple of high dollar ones that customers had broken or worn out. From what I've been told (remind you again; no personal experience), if you have something that's so rusty it actually has layers or scales, then the needle scaler is a great tool, but not worth using on light surface rust. And of course, I expect it would really dent thin sheet metal.

/ Rust removal tool #13  
I would agree with Bird. I have watched them used at the plant and they are great for knocking off large chucks of rust on heavy iron. The metal isn't real clean afterwards and it would mangle light gauge metal tubing pretty badly.

/ Rust removal tool #14  
I can suggest with confidence a few cans of Oven Off oven cleaner. Spray it on and let it sit for a while. Then rinse and give another rinse with baking soda and water to neutralize the lye in the oven cleaner. It will leave a clean shiny surface that will immediately start to rust if you don't get some form of paint on it. I have done this many times with rusted items.

/ Rust removal tool #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I can suggest with confidence a few cans of Oven Off oven cleaner. )</font>
And don't forget to use good protective gloves. That stuff can be very injurious to your body!
The navel jellies are really dangerous. You don't even know you've done any damage until it's pretty late. It can go through your clothes and you won't know it until it's hurt you. John

/ Rust removal tool #16  
I've used scalers in the past. They are great for removing heavy scale from thick material such as frames. They are not good for light material such as car bodies and thin walled tubing.

/ Rust removal tool #17  
Thanks to all for the info on the needle scaler. I was thinking of using it for heavy parts, like when we changed the tires on an old dump truck and the rust in the edge of the rim or welding a split bucket.

I really like the battery charger idea, but haven't tried it yet. It should work quite well. I do understand that it is "line of sight", meaning if your rust can't see the sacrificial rod, it won't work on that part. Just a note...

-JC