Rust removal tool

/ Rust removal tool #1  

Dougwatts

Tractor
JD 5310
A friend gave me 9 corral panels. Although they're only 3 years old, they're rusting badly, so I'd like to clean them up and paint them. Any suggestions? Specifically, what tool would you recommend for removing rust (easily)? I have an air compressor, so it could be an air tool.

I plan on buying a sprayer, but would appreciate any thoughts you have on type of sprayer.

/ Rust removal tool #2  
My preference would be a sand blaster. Harbor Freight has several for not a lot of money. Your compressor may have enough CFMs to run some of them. The larger the blaster and compressor the less time it will take.
They got sprayers too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Rust removal tool #3  
Will you be painting the panels? If you're going to paint them, why not just treat them with a rust converter - that's the easiest way to tackle it. Have a look at POR-15 as an example of a product that seems to work really well.

/ Rust removal tool #4  
If you get a sand blaster you had better make sure to get a tyvek suit and the full head gear (over your shoulders). You will also need an area far away from automobiles or anything with a nice finish. The sand will travel for many 10s of feet and "etch" anything it hits. Sand blasting is highly effective with the right gear, but very messy.

/ Rust removal tool #5  
I'd use a wire brush in an angle grinder, (air or electric). Then give the panels a coat of primer and 2 coats of finish.

/ Rust removal tool #6  
I've got quite a bit of experience in this area, both good and bad. The first thing I always do is try to shy people away from sandblasting. Don't get me wrong...sandblasting is terrific. The problem is you can't do it half way when you're working with large items. I have a rig I use quite well for small parts the size of my hand. For items like you have...trust me...you need a BIG compressor with a good dryer and a high quality sand blast unit, suits, headgear, nozzles etc. Anything less will end up in a lot of work and a big mess.

I agree with JJT. Go with a high quality wire wheel on a hand held grinder. Cheap ones will wear out quickly and send wire everywhere. You might also consider a good rust preventative. I use a product called Rust-Mort. It's usually available at good auto body paint stores. It's a little bit expensive but works great. Unlike the jellys it is almost like water so you can spray it on. It is made to work on rust and NOT bare metal so all you need to do is knock the worst of it off with the wire wheel first.

As far as sprayers go, I'm no expert there. I can tell you that I own this one from Harbor Freight and I have been very happy with it for several years. For heavier paints, you'll need this nozzle set.

Good luck!

/ Rust removal tool #7  
On second thought I would have to agree, there are probably too many things on the downside of sandblasting. I was just thinking of the fine looking job they do on rusted metal. The performance of a blaster that would run off the size compressor you likely have at the house would be painfully slow. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif As for protective gear I was thinking heavy clothes, leather gloves, ear plugs, face shield, upwind on a real windy day. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Probably not good enough. Forget the sandblasting. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Rust removal tool #8  
Anyone used a needle scaler? I was considering getting one of these for rusted items and wondered how well it would work?

Maybe it would work here?

As far as I can tell, it would be like using a welding chipping hammer to chip off rust, but MUCH faster.

Here is a picture of one... Northern Tool- Needle Scaler

Any advice?

Thanks.

-JC

/ Rust removal tool #9  
do you have a good battery charger?

rreason I ask is there is a electrical method which works like crazy!. If you look under the "Projects forum and I think I postecd links under Painting a tractor, lots of links about this. uses plane ole water & a soada type soap. you will also need a pool/(plastic laid out so that water can cover the treated parts.) some sacrficial metal (rebar works great). and some copper wire...

(not at at home so I am missing my lniks )

anyhow it works great and have less effort involved.

Next method is grinder & wire brush with lots of hard work... then paint with metal prep/conditioner as a base then dry & top coat..

Mark M