Portable Generators

/ Portable Generators #1  

ValerieT

Boy. I am in Florida & for obvious reasons, looking for a powerful generator. Stumbled on this site and saw a discussion about the Generac generators, the one I wanted. We want the 15KW portable model to run our house. It supposedly will even run central air. I am open to any other suggestions as I never want to go this long without power again. It is too late for the approaching 3rd Hurricane Ivan - but we need something. All this talk of magnitizing and exciting and stuff lost me! I thought you put gas in it and turne it on! Help. Any advice from all you smart guys out there?

/ Portable Generators #2  
I have been researching backup generators for a bit. I think the Generac generator you mention will do the job. You just need a properly-sized propane tank. Don't worry about the magnetizing and exciting stuff. The Generac backup generator automatically starts itself weekly to ensure it will operate properly when needed.
Good luck. Let's hope Ivan takes a sharp eastward turn.

/ Portable Generators
Yes I was looking at the big stand by you talk about, but we do not have propane or natural gas out here and would have to have that all installed. I was talking about the portable Guardian Ultra Source 15KW generator. Those I guess you do have to start and do all this stuff. There was a discussion I read from some folks in Ohio and stuff that the Generac was junk. Hope not. I can not afford the big $8,000 and $10,000 portables.

/ Portable Generators #4  
Hi Valerie,
I started the post about problems with the Generac generator. I may have just got two bad units? My real concern was that they didn't support them after the sale. You might want to see if another manufacturer offers an extended warranty, Generac does not. I think it speaks to the quality of a product if they won't offer a service contract post warranty.

Good luck in your quest!
Curt

/ Portable Generators #5  
I agree, when Isabel hit central VA last year we were without power for 10 days. I have the same Generator you are looking at 15kw propane. I also have a 500 gal tank. We had enough power to run everything in our home barns outbuildings garage and neighbors refridg lights TV. It was on the entire time I had the propane company fill it up on day 7. Thanks to our contract they were obligated to fill it, get one with local company if they are still giving them.... we have a propane HW heater, and we used AC sparingly [only at night]. Otherwise best $5K I ever spent. I will take it with us when we move.

/ Portable Generators #6  
Val,
Why do you need such a big model for? Is it the A/C your concerned about or is there other issues? You can run a fan with wayyyyy less generator to get you through emergencies like yours. Remember you get what you pay for?? Well that applies here just like it does with everything else in life.
All generators have quality issues.......Even the $5,000 models. But the issues of service and more importantly customer service are the things you need to think about as OhioGuy pointed out.
A dealer such as your local hardware store or something of the sort will do you better in the long run vs a HD or Lowes. Save the receipt, run the bad boy each month with a fan plugged into it and relax, it'll be a good investment.
I have a 10yr old Coleman, changed the oil yearly, original spark plug still and it runs like a top. Never ran it monthly either. So they either work or should die while a warranty is still good.

/ Portable Generators
Hi. Been side tracked trying to put ourselves together from Frances and now we are waiiting for Jeanne's arrival tomorrow. This is ridiculous and I have lived in Fla my whole life. Anyway, we have decided on the Generac but now my husband wants the home stand by units that are wired into the home and run on propane. He wants their new QuietSource 20KW! model & I am arguing for the way cheaper 15KW Home model that comes with its own pad. We have found out our AC is so large we would need the 20KW to run it, but I am fine with a little room AC and our fans. He says he works hard and never wants to lay in bed and sweat again. We were without power for 8 days after Frances and it is HOT down here. He works hard for BellSouth & is putting in 12 hour shifts with 1 day off every 2 weeks..so he deserves to be cool. But I am hoping I can talk him into the smaller model. Thanks for everyone's input.

/ Portable Generators #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( We have found out our AC is so large we would need the 20KW to run it, but I am fine with a little room AC and our fans. He says he works hard and never wants to lay in bed and sweat again. We were without power for 8 days after Frances and it is HOT down here. He works hard for BellSouth & is putting in 12 hour shifts with 1 day off every 2 weeks..so he deserves to be cool. )</font>
If you're going to the expense of even the 15kw, the little extra for the 20kw will not be felt over a long period of time, and then your husband AND you can be comfortable.
Of course, everything is a matter of priority, but I have to agree with your husband, comfort is all important when one has to work hard, rest is needed.
If you can't talk him into a window unit in the bedroom for those power outages, go with the 20KW and you probably will be very happy you did with the next one to two week outage! John

/ Portable Generators #9  
Yesterday morning I went and hung a little whirlpool 6000btu windo unit in my parents bedroom window, and his tractor supply 5500/8500 genny is pulling that, his directtv, a lamp, and his fridge.

They slept good last night.. that little ac nearly froze them out.

My mom doesn't like to be without power. I also wired up a jumper pig tail to their well so all my stepfather has to do is just plug in the big plug and power up the well.

The breakers for the well are completely pulled right now.

Once their power comes back on.. I'll go neat up the wireing.

Soundguy

Soundguy