Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Elite Member

Default Re: Smokin\' John Deere

What do you suppose the dried rice added to the mix? Unless I am missing something, dried rice + water + heat = wet rice, soft and mushy.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2910; Kubota T1670

Rice!? In the carb?!!? Surely not!!??

How could all that goop get past the needle and seat?

I just don't see how that could work at all. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4300, John Deere 3010 w/48 loader

Fishman,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How could all that goop get past the needle and seat? )</font>

You don't put the water through the fuel system. You put it in the air intake as you would an upper cylinder lubricant.

This is the first that I have heard of using rice along with the water. I suspect that the rice acts as a mild abrasive cleaner. Its probably hard enough to shatter carbon deposits when it hits them at air intake speed but much softer than metal.

This is pretty much Model T Ford technology. Not sure what it do to the oxygen sensor or catalytic converter in todays cars.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Bolens HT-20

That's right, about dumping down the carb vents. By the way, I also heard that crushed walnut shells do as well. (Besides using them for 'sandblasting'.) I, too, suspect that it's acting as a sandblasting/chipping agent. Sure is a rough way to cook a meal, th [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]ough!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2910; Kubota T1670

OK that makes sense now. I guess I was just having a senior moment. Still sounds a little strange though.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    BX 22

Hi Tim,
    I don't know by your post, what engine is in your tractor.I recently I had a two cylinder B&amp;S that smoked real bad. I found out it was a blown head gasket on one cylinder.It was blown between the oil galley and the cylinder bore. This may be your problem or it may be just a tired engine that needs to be overhauled.
    Gugy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12