Need Tricks - Cleaning Fuel Tank Crud

/ Need Tricks - Cleaning Fuel Tank Crud #1  

SELou

Tractor
IH/484
I recently had a problem with my 1984 IH-484 not being able to hold the RPM's necessary to use the PTO. Traced the problem to a clogged shutoff valve. Drained the tank to remove the valve and found the bottom of the tank covered with 20 years worth of crud. These tractors have a saddle tank with a crossover line. It's about 20" from the tank cap to the bottom of the tank. Taking the tank off is not an option.

Looking for techniques for cleaning the tank bottom without removing it from the tractor. Thanks for your help!!

/ Need Tricks - Cleaning Fuel Tank Crud #2  
If the gunk is loose, I leave a little fuel in the tank and use a cheap suction type sandblaster to vacuum the stuff out.

/ Need Tricks - Cleaning Fuel Tank Crud #3  
I had some crud in my attached (welded) tank (full sized loader/backhoe)

It however, had a drain plug on the bottom. I drained all the fuel out and then simply took the pressure washer to it and washed the entire thing out, using straight water.

After I was done with the pressure washer and waiting until only clean water came out the hole, I then filled a garden pressure sprayer (for chemicals) with diesel and washed the entire thing out with that. I took the nozel off so the fuel would come out sideways in addition to having the nozel on to make it come out straight.

When I pumped a couple of gallons of that through, and collected it into a container.. I replaced the drain plug, filled with diesel and fired her up. Never had any problems since.

I collected the used diesel and used it to help start fires.

/ Need Tricks - Cleaning Fuel Tank Crud #4  
Blow out supply line from s/o valve to filter also. I had same problem and flushing tank didn't work. Had me doin' the head scratch. The fittings are specially designed with 1 riser to keep them from sucking bottom of tank and shouldn't really be a problem except with serious trash problem.

/ Need Tricks - Cleaning Fuel Tank Crud
Thanks for your advise guys! I bought some brass drill bit brushes to attach to a 3 foot steel rod (1/4" diameter) to go down from the top of the tank and scrub the tank bottom crud by hand; don't want to blow myself up with an electric drill. Both sides of the saddle tank have the drain plugs removed. This weekend I plan to use my garden pressure sprayer to rinse out the crud loosened by the brushes. It would be nice to have all of the right tools to do the job.

I bought a new fuel shutoff valve and plan to rig some 1/2" hose to my electric tire pump to blow out the fuel lines. Hopefully by Sunday the Red Brute and I will be back in business. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Need Tricks - Cleaning Fuel Tank Crud #6  
I've cleaned many lawn & garden tractor steel tanks with household ammonia(clear) I also use it when I rebuild carburetors. The stuff cuts varnish and crude easily.On the carburetors I wouldn't soak the brass float longer than two or three minutes or it will eat right through it.It also takes off the paint. Also don't use it on rubber or plastic parts. Maybe this will work for you
Good luck
Gugy

/ Need Tricks - Cleaning Fuel Tank Crud #7  
1/4full of kerosene, throw in some nuts of various sizes(not the kind you eat). shake it around and around and around. Dunp it out. Rinse with more kerosene. Rinse with gas or diesel. Use.

Ron

/ Need Tricks - Cleaning Fuel Tank Crud #8  
How did the fule taknk cleaning go ? What method did you use ?

Ben

/ Need Tricks - Cleaning Fuel Tank Crud
Victory over the Crud! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I ended up going the low cost route. Bought a 1" brass wire brush fitted for a 1/4" drill bit and attached to a 3' steel 1/4" dowl rod. Ran it through the openings at the top of the tank and scrubbed the tank bottom by hand. Filled a plastic cup with diesel fuel and rinsed out the loosened material by pouring the fuel into the empty tank from the the top openings. The crud and dirty fuel was caught in a pan under the drain holes. Repeated the process about 10 times for each side of the saddle tank. Used the same cup of fuel over and over by using a paper coffee filter to clean up the fuel after each use. Worked great! Clean up stuff $5.00, new Case IH shut/off valve $14.00, my time $ free. I'll replace the primary fuel filter this weekend and declare victory.

Tractor runs great!

/ Need Tricks - Cleaning Fuel Tank Crud #10  
Good news! That is what we like to hear.

Ben