1910 Front End 4x4 Differential Problem, drive rem

/ 1910 Front End 4x4 Differential Problem, drive rem #1  

artie

Well I I have a shop service manual for repairing it. I drained the differential and small bits of metal came out. So I assume the problem is in there.

So my next question; I am getting ready to remove the right axle from the differential housing. Is there anything that might sneak up on me that I should consider?

/ 1910 Front End 4x4 Differential Problem, drive rem #2  
You might check to see if there are drain plugs on each side as well. My Mitubishi and Satoh have them.

/ 1910 Front End 4x4 Differential Problem, drive rem #3  
I have been reading your postings all over, here is my two cents. You should start at the right hand hub. Remove the hub cover from the swivel housing, check the gears and bearings. Remove the upper swivel housing from the axle housing, inspect. Remove the axle shaft, bevel gear and bearing from the axle housing, inspect. Remove the right hand axle housing to remove the differential from its housing. locate and save any shims you encounter along the way.

/ 1910 Front End 4x4 Differential Problem, drive rem
Thanks for the reply. I am going to work on it tonight so I will let you know.

When I get the right axle off. If there is say just the bevel gear shot will I still have to remove the whole differential and drive shaft?

/ 1910 Front End 4x4 Differential Problem, drive rem #5  
If there is no damage to the differential, there is no reason to remove the axle housing. Since there is no sure way to determine that without looking at it, and I seem to remember you said a chicklet dropped out of the center section drain, I would have a look. Just a few more bolts, and you already need a tube of gasket eliminator anyways. Unless you find damage to the pinion shaft, the center section can stay on the tractor.

/ 1910 Front End 4x4 Differential Problem, drive rem
Thanks for the help on this. What happened was my father kept using the thing after pulling a stump out in reverse. To make a long story short, the left front wheel started locking up in 4wd. 2wd it was just making a clunking noise while operating it. Well towards the end when I finally told him to stop using it the left front wheel would lock up in 2wd.

It seems likely that the problem is in the differential somewhere.

I am going to pull off the right hub and upper axle tonight. I will let you know what I find.

One thing for sure parts on that thing do not come off really easy like one would think. There is no rust but everything has been on there so long its quite snug.