Yanmar YM1700 Hi/Low range selector

/ Yanmar YM1700 Hi/Low range selector #1  

MikeInMS

The hi/lo range selector broke on my Yanmar YM1700. It was stuck in low and I kicked it backward out of low and it broke. I know it was dumb. The arm swings forward and back freely with jno resistance whatsoever. I have hardly any mechanical ability, so I sent the tractor off to have repaired. What should I expect in terms of time and expense for the dealer to repair this. The guy at Liberty Tractor said they may have to "split" the tractor, which shocked me. He explained what that meant and I was somewhat less alarmed. It seems to me they could go in through the plate at the bottom of the gear shifter to replace/repair the hi/low selector, but I don't know. Any guesses or estimates are welcomed.

/ Yanmar YM1700 Hi/Low range selector #2  
roll or shear pin? Spliting the tractor seems a little excessive. Is it not possible to access your problem by removing Hydraulic lift arm assembly? Maybe not. Good luck, Mark

/ Yanmar YM1700 Hi/Low range selector #3  
I am guessing he was just preparing you for the worst case. Without knowing exactly what was wrong, he could not predict what the repair would be. Hopefully he is an honest dealer who will do you right.

/ Yanmar YM1700 Hi/Low range selector
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure about which pin it is. This was my (very) uneducated guess. I'm not sure how this selector is connected to the transmission. The shifter only has two positions - it moves sraight forward for low range and back for high. It obviously isn't connected to anything since broken. It moves freely back and forth. I guess I was hoping for someone with intimate knowledge of this tractor or one very similar, which may be a long shot. Thanks again for responding.

/ Yanmar YM1700 Hi/Low range selector #5  
I'm not near my tractor or I'd look.. however.. my guess is that you would have your answer 9 had your answer).. if you would have posted this in the yanmar sub.

There are quite a few dealers / mechanics that specifically work on these jap tractors over there.. many of them don't get out and read the rest of the forums... A whole group of us journied over here from yahoo groups years ago...

Soundguy