Case 580D repairs....fluids and gages

/ Case 580D repairs....fluids and gages #1  

Larsonet

So I finally worked out a deal on an 83 Case 580D Super D, and have it at my house. I used it for a couple hours the other night, and want to get into some repairs. First is the fluids and filters. Whats the best way to get filters? I have the manuals, and see the Case part numbers. I'm going to try find a local case dealer, but I'm wondering if a parts store like Napa can cross reference them. I plan to change the following:

Engine oil and filters
Fuel filter
Hydraulic filter
Air filter

Are there any other filters/fluids that should be changed?

Secondly, only the oil pressure and volt meter gages work. I want to get them all working, especially the engine temp and hydraulic fluid temp. Does anyone know if these gages have sending units, or are they mechanical type? I found part numbers for the gages in the manual, but could find where they tap in to the systems. The rpm and hourmeter dont work, either.

Any input is appreciated
Thanks
Eric

/ Case 580D repairs....fluids and gages #2  
Coolant?
I don't know about the 'D's but the 'C's were prone to head gasket failure. Can be hard to diagnose. If you end up replacing, use only a genuine Case head gasket. The aftermarket ones didn't seem to hold up well, I am told.

/ Case 580D repairs....fluids and gages #3  
Any Carquest, Napa, or Oreily's should have a WIX catalog at the counter with all the Case filters in it. Take your serial # with you in case there's a change during production.

A Case backhoe usually has 2 serial #s on it. Take the one on the tractor. The older ones had one on the hoe as well.

The D series got the cummins engine, The Cs were the last of the Case engines. HTH...

/ Case 580D repairs....fluids and gages
Thanks for the info. I'll get the serial number tonight and head over to napa.

I looked through the manual last night. I guess there are two air filters and two fuel filters.

Is the serial number usually in an obvious location?

thanks
Eric

/ Case 580D repairs....fluids and gages #5  
If I remember, (and I may not /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) it's on the right hand side of the dash.