83 580D starting issue

/ 83 580D starting issue #1  

Larsonet

The 83 Case 580D I just bought has a starting issue. Occasionally, when you turn the key, it'll click and not start. I guess there is a solenoid in the cab, and one on the starter. You can hear both click. The one in the cab is new. If you cycle the key several times, it'll catch and turn right over. I put a boost pack on the battery to see if maybe it was lacking juice, but it didnt affect it. I'm thinking its corroded cables, or the solenoid on the starter. Hopefully the starter solenoid is replaceable by itself and doesnt require a whole new starter. If it absolutely wont start, you can jump the posts on the starter solenoid and it kicks right over.

Any other ideas?

thanks
Eric

/ 83 580D starting issue #2  
I know a guy who ran himself over by starting a tractor by jumping directly to the starter. He gets around on one of those little electric wheelchairs now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BE REAL CAREFUL AND GET IT FIXED.

/ 83 580D starting issue #3  
Yep, I've got one. The ignition switch itself. That's what cured my 580E. You can pull the harness off the back of the switch and jumper it there rather than the starter to check.

/ 83 580D starting issue
I wondered if it was the switch. One time after pulling the key out, the dash lights were still on like the key was in the "on" position. I ruled it out because when you turn the key, you hear the solenoids click. I'll pull the harness and bypass it to check.

thanks
Eric

/ 83 580D starting issue #5  
Had the exact same problem on my JD backhoe. It was the starter solenoid. I burnished the contacts inside of the selonoid. This took care of my problem.

/ 83 580D starting issue #6  
Yep. That's the exact same "first indicator" I had. And ignored. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif