Default 83 580D starting issue

The 83 Case 580D I just bought has a starting issue. Occasionally, when you turn the key, it'll click and not start. I guess there is a solenoid in the cab, and one on the starter. You can hear both click. The one in the cab is new. If you cycle the key several times, it'll catch and turn right over. I put a boost pack on the battery to see if maybe it was lacking juice, but it didnt affect it. I'm thinking its corroded cables, or the solenoid on the starter. Hopefully the starter solenoid is replaceable by itself and doesnt require a whole new starter. If it absolutely wont start, you can jump the posts on the starter solenoid and it kicks right over.

Any other ideas?

thanks
    Eric

Silver Member

Default Re: 83 580D starting issue

I know a guy who ran himself over by starting a tractor by jumping directly to the starter. He gets around on one of those little electric wheelchairs now. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

BE REAL CAREFUL AND GET IT FIXED.

Tractor
    Ford 1220, John Deere 770, Case 580E and Allmand TLB-35

Yep, I've got one. The ignition switch itself. That's what cured my 580E. You can pull the harness off the back of the switch and jumper it there rather than the starter to check.

I wondered if it was the switch. One time after pulling the key out, the dash lights were still on like the key was in the "on" position. I ruled it out because when you turn the key, you hear the solenoids click. I'll pull the harness and bypass it to check.

thanks
    Eric

Tractor
    L4630

Had the exact same problem on my JD backhoe. It was the starter solenoid. I burnished the contacts inside of the selonoid. This took care of my problem.

Tractor
    Ford 1220, John Deere 770, Case 580E and Allmand TLB-35

Yep. That's the exact same "first indicator" I had. And ignored. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]