Veteran Member

Default Anyone ever try an Odyssey Battery?

These are supposed to be Military grade batteries. I'll bet they aren't cheap. They are sealed dry cell type.
    More sizes available than Optima batteries.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

phil

Gold Member

Default Re: Anyone ever try an Odyssey Battery?

Yes, I ran a Odyssey PC680 in my Mustang drag car for about five years. It's a 680 CCA battery that weighs 15.5 lbs including the aluminum mount I TIG'ed up for it. There's no real advantage to saving weight on a tractor though. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I found it worked very well when the car was used regularly, say once every couple weeks or so. If it sat for a month or more though, it would run itself dead. I bought mine through batterymart.com, I think it was $70 when I bought it. Compared to the brand name "Dynabat" which is available through Summit Racing, etc, that $70 was cheap. Dynabat's are just re-badged Hawker Odyssey's for twice the price.

Also, if you order the part numbers with the "MJ" at the end, it comes with a metal casing bonded to the outside of the plastic surrounding the cells. Makes for a very tough battery.

Veteran Member

I thought the neat feature about these is the fact that they're sealed and dry cell. The specs look better than the Optima's.

Gold Member

I never really looked over the Optima specs, and I have never used one, so I really don't know anything about them. The sealed battery is real nice though, that's why I ran one in my car. I actually ran it mounted upside down in the fender well for a while. The metal cases are even nicer because you can squeeze them from the sides to mount them. I didn't get the metal case because I was being overly weight conscious. Granted, at about 3.5 lbs/hp, an extra one or two pounds wouldn't have made much difference.

Elite Member

http://www.batterymart.com/odyssey_battery.php

According to the Battery Mart website, the PC680 is a motorcycle/atv battery with 220CCA. The equivalent to an Optima, (875CCA), that one would want for a tractor is 13" long, weighs almost 60lbs, and costs $198.