Broken PTO Shaft

/ Broken PTO Shaft #1  

rfawkes

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054
I snapped the PTO shaft on my rotory cutter right where it goes into the head near the gearbox. Can it be welded, or is it time to go to the parts store. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Broken PTO Shaft #2  
Was it welded to begin with? If so, should be able to.

I didn't break mine, but needed to extend it due to adding a quick hitch.

Tractor supply had some sticks of this stuff, but not my size. And it was $50 for 50".

I went to a drive line place and they stocked all the stuff, cut it to length for me, and charged me $1/in. Much cheaper as I only needed 18".

My first call would be to a drive line store.

Ron

/ Broken PTO Shaft #3  
Is the PTO shaft really broken, or did the shear pin break?

It's important that you know the difference.

The shear bolt is nearest the gear box on my cutter's PTO shaft.

Anyway, if your PTO shaft is broken, suggest you replace that shaft completely. If it's still in any warranty, return it to the store you bought it from.
I am sure there is a way to repair it by pressing the old roll pin out, getting a new length of the triangular tubing and replacing the "broken" section completely.

/ Broken PTO Shaft #4  
Sounds like it might be the shaft going into the gearbox that is broken and not the PTO shaft itself. If so you might need to replace the shaft into the gearbox or have professionally welded and turned down. Beware that the heat from welding close to the gearbox will ruin the seal in the gearbox. The shaft will have to be removed from the gearbox to weld or replace.

If it is the PTO shaft itself then the other posters have given good advice, especially checking the shear bolt. If it is the shaft you can buy just the half that is broken without having to buy both parts/ends.

Ben

/ Broken PTO Shaft
After taking everything apart it was not so serious as I first thought. The shaft broke at the weld where it was welded to the yoke that connects to the U joint. I replaced the U joint and had the shaft re welded, and now it is good as new. Every problem I have ever had with a tractor or implement can be attributed to operator error. How much do you have to break before you are not a newbie anymore?