Darned cheap batteries...

/ Darned cheap batteries... #1  

GrayBeard

Gold Member
Well my tractor is just a year old and the battery is going south !
It may have been discussed before but I couldn't find it.
My question is , should I be looking at sealed batteries( maint. free) ? I'm pretty sure the one that's in it now is not sealed but the battery is right in front of the radiator. re: "hauling" acid fumes thru the core.
Will it make a difference ?
Thanks,
GrayBeard

/ Darned cheap batteries... #2  
Been al lot of talk on various forums about this, the general consensus seems to be to get the sealed Optima type of batteries. You might want to do a search on batteries on this board.

Ben

/ Darned cheap batteries... #3  
I did quite a bit of CAD design work a long time back for an insulated battery shield system for some of the original Ford Exlorer models. It seems that cheap battery or not, all of them break down EXTREMELY fast when crammed up against hot engines. The heat breaks them down.

Replace this one, but if it happens again, you are going to need to take measures....
1) this is the easiest... keep engine temps down in the first place. Keep the radiator clean and make sure the fan is running right.
2) If still necessary, create a makeshift shroud. Take a piece of foam insulation (such as blue board from house construction) and wrap it in aluminum foil. Put it in between the battery and radiator, but of course, do not block the air flow through the radiator.

Getut

/ Darned cheap batteries... #4  
Should last more like 3 years but any battery can fail… I have always figured you should buy them ‘by the pound’ … that is the most weight = better battery. The lowest cost per pound = the best price. The lighter ‘thinner’ plate ones don’t seem to be as durable as heavier.

A sealed battery has its place, whether it is worth the extra price to start your tractor??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
As to heat, I would think that in front of the radiator is the coolest location you could possibly place it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The amount of acid you will get from a properly working charging system I don’t think is much to worry about… I have been around many cars that had batteries in the trunk where there is no air flow, never experienced any acid problems. More concern for build up of hydrogen than anything.

On my Kubota it is in front of the AC condenser and the radiator. There seems to be plenty of air flow, if things are kept reasonably clean. KennyV.

/ Darned cheap batteries...
Thanks for the responses.
I don't think heat was the problem, just a lousy battery.
I did find that the original is sealed but there are vents on it anyway.
I looked into Optima but for 169.00 vs. 49.00 I'll probably stick with the "conventional" type.
GrayBeard

/ Darned cheap batteries... #6  
Sams Club has generic Optima type of batteries. Did not check the price but just saw them. Might want to check it out.

Ben

/ Darned cheap batteries... #7  
I really like my Cub Cadet, BUT...
The stock battery didn't last a year. I took it back to the Cub dealer, who readily replaced it for me, free of charge, but ALAS, my SECOND Cub battery went to H!@# too. I took the NAPA Gold battery out of my Mustang and that one worked for 5 YEARS!!! I just replaced it again this summer witha John Deere battery. We'll see how long that one lasts. I used to swear by Sears Die Hard, but even those aren't made like they used to be. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Darned cheap batteries... #8  
I agree about those DieHards. I, too, used to swear by 'em. THen I started to swear at 'em! Thaat's when I found they were made by Exide, I believe. IT's been a long time ago. THere was a quick blurb in the news about them refurbishing batteries and selling them as new. That was a lonnnnnnng time ago. Don't know who makes them for Sears any more. ANymore, I just get what ever is cheap, WallyWorld, Murray's, Meijer's.....

/ Darned cheap batteries... #9  
I have had good luck from wally-world batteries. I'v got them in my yukon, and my dodge. Both were 'emergency' replacements in parking lot / drive ways that were intended to just get me on my way.. but heck.. a 29$ battery has made it 2 years already... it doesn't owm me anything at this point..

I was about to get mad at the 6v battery in my 8n, as it had gotten a bit low and wasn't charging up as much as I thought it should.. but then i find out it is 2.5 years old.. and heck.. i know tractor batteries get beat up tpretty good too.

After seeing thet.. I serviced it... water / cleaned the terminals, and by golly.. it started charging even better. I have a spare interstae available that i'm going to keep on hand, as it will fit both my N and my JD-B

Soundguy

/ Darned cheap batteries... #10  
Exide is making a really nice battery now. spiral cell like the Optima line. this one is comparable to the yellow top optima and you can order it online for 119 this month.

http://4west.com/Monthly_Specials.htm
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif