Broken Starter

/ Broken Starter #1  

bigfig

The starter stopped working on my 3930 Ford. I pulled it out and tried testing it with a battery cable and the solenoid works fine and the four brushes are not broken. When I opened up the back cover of the starter pieces of what looks like a round graphite ring fell out. I'm not sure what this ring does? Anyone out there know? I would love to find an exploded view of the lucas starter. When I first tested the starter I put battery cables on it the solenoid activated, the little gear slammed forward the way it was supposed to, but the starter itself would not spin. So I am wondering if that little graphite ring helps to ground the motor?
Any help would be appreciated.

/ Broken Starter #2  
Bigfig, this may have absolutely nothing to do with your problem, but a couple of years ago my brother had a Suzuki Sidekick and one day the starter wouldn't do anything. We took it off and he was going to go buy another starter, but I suggested we open it up first to see what was wrong. When we did, we blew the dirt and debris out with the air-compressor, put the starter back together and everything worked fine.

/ Broken Starter
Hi. I did that. Took it apart and there was a little round graphite ring about 1/4 in. thick that was in pieces and fell out when I opened the back up. I've never seen a starter with one of these graphite rings. Anyway, the four brushes in the starter were just fine and there was no other dirt or debris. The tractor and starter only have about 220 hrs. on them, but, and it is a big BUT, I checked around for replacement starters and these darn things are either made in India or China! There ain't no quality starter available for a Ford ANYWHERE on planet earth!
The one the dealer sells, he charges $350 and it is made in India by Lucas. The starter you buy on eBay, brand new, is OEM equipment (made by Lucas) in India for $109.00. Same starter as the $350 one. Either way, expensive junk or less expensive junk. Darn this global economy! I'm going back to horses! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Broken Starter #4  
Lucas, in my opinion, never could make good electronics.
Every piece of that supposedly English company was crap after a little while.
They used Lucas stuff in all the old MGs and Triumphs etc. Back when most of it was made in the UK.
Not much is made in the "country of origin" any more. John

/ Broken Starter #5  
Try a rebuild.

Even those lucas 'prince of darkness' things have rebuild parts available.

I had an NAA starter rebuilt for 80 bucks.. that included new field coils and all..

I'd rebuild before I used a cheap junk one..

Heck.. I'd try a salvaged one before a cheap junked one.

Soundguy