Over charging

/ Over charging #1  

kuby

Silver Member
Tractor
L 245DT
My kubota L245DT is over charging 16-18 volts. I replaced the regulator but it still overcharges. Any idea's??

Thanks Bob /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Over charging #2  
sounds like a good amount to me, A good battery before starting should read 13-15 volts, your tractors regulator keeps a starter/components from being damaged. Using the analogy of inflating a tire to 30psi from 25psi you want you airhose pressure to start at 50psi or else the tire and tank will even out to quickly, in the extreme case of a 20psi line you would be deflating the tire

/ Over charging #3  
About the only other items that would cause overcharging would be the alternator or wiring.......Sounds like a short somewhere is causing it to charge wide open. Fix it or you will damage your battery and any electronics that your tractor might have.

Good luck, I cannot give you any specific tests as I am not familiar with Kubota charging systems, just charging systems in general.

Ben

/ Over charging #4  
Depending on the external regulator setup.. I'd check the charge wire, for any fraying or chafing/ shorting. Another big cause of overcharging with an alternator and external vreg.. is a bad ground reference at the vr. Any voltage drop in the ground circuit of a vr will translate to the regulated voltage side as a higher charge rate.

Soundguy

/ Over charging #5  
Charging voltage up to 15 volts is about the norm.. however.. a fully charged battery just sitteng there should not read 15 volts...

Soundguy

/ Over charging #6  
Normal charging voltage when engine runs is 14.4V.
Everything above this is bad, as electrolysis starts in battery, and battery is vapouring water.
When you have so high voltage, seems refulator is fail or you haven't connection to battery, or batery is dead. Where did you have measured voltage, on alternator or battery connnection?