Yanmar YM2200 lift/PTO/FEL weak

/ Yanmar YM2200 lift/PTO/FEL weak #1  

grafpatrick

Tractor
YM2200
Hello-
I have a refurbished grey market Yanmar YM2200 tractor with a hydraulic problem. It was working fine a few days ago, according to my helper, but after parking overnight has developed a problem with the hydraulic system. The 3 point lift is weak, only able to lift about 150 lb, the PTO runs when free but not when attached to an implement and the bucket will go up and down, but is not strong enough to lift the front wheels. There is oil in the transmission and no leaks are apparent. The lines are not kinked anywhere. I tried adjusting the hydraulic stop and slow release valves. What is my next step - change the hydraulic oil and clean the filter? If I have to drain it to change the pump, I would like to do that at the same time. Any simple way to test the hydraulic pump? Is it rebuildable and where do I go for that? Is it better to just replace the pump altogether? Any recommended suppliers?
John Churchill
Sanibel, FL

/ Yanmar YM2200 lift/PTO/FEL weak #2  
Welcome to TBN. It might be better to post this in the Yanmar specific forum down a little lower in the list. Lots of Yanmar owners and some dealers frequent that forum.

/ Yanmar YM2200 lift/PTO/FEL weak #3  
If you haven't serviced (changed hydraulic oil and cleaned filter) I would do that before being too concerned about the pump. It is usually a dirty hydraulic screen that attributes to poor hydraulic performance.

Also, Inspector507's advice about faster/better responses on the Yanmar tractor section is a very good idea.

Regards, Mark

/ Yanmar YM2200 lift/PTO/FEL weak #4  
I would definitely clean the hydraulic pickup screen before going any further, also, as far as I know, there should not be any connection between the hydraulics and the PTO, which is mechanically driven, other than sharing the same fluid for lube.

/ Yanmar YM2200 lift/PTO/FEL weak #5  
Mark,
Will that stop a PTO from turning under load?

/ Yanmar YM2200 lift/PTO/FEL weak #6  
Hmmmm. I missed that. Certainly the lift arms, and everything else in the hydraulic circuit, but the PTO is gear driven, so there must be another problem somewhere. Good eye Inspector and Norm.

grafpatric, IMHO: I would still change all hydraulic fluid and clean the screen and then test your brush hog or PTO driven implement to narrow down any other problem.

Mark

/ Yanmar YM2200 lift/PTO/FEL weak #7  
You can check the hydraulic pump by hooking a gauge into the pressure circuit. It looks you may be able to tap into it at the plug next to the position lock on the lift cylinder cover. Use a 2500 or larger gauge. I'm not sure what this models system is set at Most models of this size are around 2100 psi , but some of the smaller models are as low as 1400 psi.

/ Yanmar YM2200 lift/PTO/FEL weak #8  
I had a Yanmar 2000 with a weak 3pt hitch. Worked fine when I first got it then it began to loose lift. Turned out to be algae had clogged the filter. Kiohio cleaned the filter and replaced the fluid, and at no cost I might add, and it worked fine. Check your filter.