Help Please!!

/ Help Please!! #1  

garcol

I recently picked up a yanmar 155d, that needed alot of tlc. It has a 2TR13A 2 cylinder diesel. I knew it had alot of hours on it, but it seemed to run good and work well, other than smoke and some wiring issues. So i first changed out the fuse block and got the idiot lights working. Then worked it for a bit. Nothing heavy just moved some dirt around, maybe 10 hrs most. Then she started spewing oily gew out of the exhaust. And from what i have read in here sounded like it needed some rings probably some valve stem seals too. At this point i was kinda frustrated, hoped to get a few more hours of her before tearing her down. Oh well, i ordered some pistons, rings, valve stems seals and gaskets, and come to find the piston sleeves wont be available for another 90 or so days. So i figured id ad some gauges in the meantime to monitor things a bit better and to get a good reading on oil pressure, hoping i would not have to split the tractor and do the crankshaft. Well wouldnt you know it. It wasnt 5 minutes after i fired her up again, that i watched the oil pressure gauge drop to zero and the oil idiot light came on. Geesh give me a break. I can get pressure thru the filter by holding my finger over the hole for the bypass tube, but nothing to the gauge or light area. I can also look thru the hole into the case and see the oil passage hole go by as i crank the engine by hand, iam not sure if im seeing a spun bearing, or an oil hole in the crank going by, or even if the crank has an oil hole/passage in it. I have never been to any mechanics school but have learned alot from others who have and have always been able to fix my own vehicles. I guess i dont question my mechanical ablilities, just my knowledge of what im working on. This is my first tractor, as well as first diesel... I guess im asking for advice whether to try and rebuild this thing, or give it up and try to find another engine for it. Also any contacts for parts/engines. I have been getting my stuff thru Aron at Hoye tractor so far, They seem to be a pretty good place to deal with. Also was wondering what would cause an oil pressure drop that fast? I know this is lengthy but any advice/help or guidance would be appreciated greatly to this newby tractor owner..
Thnks in advance, Garcol

/ Help Please!! #2  
My I suggest you tear it down and see what it needs, then make the decision......... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif teddy

/ Help Please!! #3  
You say you have a gauge and an idiot light. Are they both using the same sending unit? I would start by looking there.

/ Help Please!! #4  
I was wondering the same thing. Unless one is mechanical and plumbed directly into an oil passage and the other via the sending unit, it would seem there may be conflicting information to the operator.

Mark

/ Help Please!! #5  
I am assuming that you hooked up the oil guage with a tee at the site of the sending unit. Sending units are set to light when a certain pressure is reached usually above zero lbs. If the guage is showing zero and all the plumbing is correct you may have main bearing problems. If my memory serves me correct, the main bearings carry the oil pressure.

/ Help Please!! #6  
Garcol,
If you are seeing the crank through the ‘hole’, you have not spun that main bearing, bearings on the crank don’t have holes the crank dose…

also if it was the bearing spinning with the crank you would see the ends of the bearing halves go by…

Do as Teddy suggested, tear it down and see…

When you are finished with the rebuild you will no longer be new to diesel engines /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, really it is not that bad to work on small diesel engines. You will appreciate how much better they are built than the average gas engine /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. KennyV.

/ Help Please!!
Thanks to all of you. Yes i have a tee fitting for the oil, one side for the mechanical gauge (all plumbing is good). And the other side for the sending unit for the idiot light.
So my next step is to get it torn down and see whats up on the inside.
I have also been lurking in this discussion forum for quite a while, since i bought this thing. And you guys are awsome with tons of good info.. So thanks again

/ Help Please!! #8  
Something still sounds fishy with the gauges. Considering how quickly your oil pressure went to zero, (does it stay at zero, by the way?), I would go back to the original configuration, (idiot light and sending unit), and see if the light stays on. It should light with ignition switch on, then go out after cranking about 5-10 seconds with decompression lever pulled.

/ Help Please!!
Yea i know it sounds fishy. I did return everything to original. And still the idiot light stayed on. When i first fired it up i got a good pressure gauge reading i think around 30ish pounds, and the light stayed off. Then watched it go down and saw the light start to flicker on. Since then i cannot get the light to go out. Tried with the decompression lever pulled and starter, and even ran it for a few minutes, hoping the oil was cavitating or something weird like that.. But i know the engine has alot of hours so when i get the time i'll pull it and see whats up and get new stuff inside. That way i'll know what is what, and wont worry about it in the future.

/ Help Please!! #10  
Have you cracked the oil line to see if you are getting oil flow from the port at all?

Soundguy