Default Satoh Beaver PTO Conversion Information needed

I have Satoh Beaver, 15hp diesel, 4WD with 3 speed PTO. The shaft turns CCW and speeds are selectable to 540, 780, and 1000 (?). There are 18 teeth on the PTO shaft and the diameter is approximately 7/8". I want to adapt the current shaft to a 1 3/8" PTO shaft with 6 teeth to turn a generator.

Any help appreciated...

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: Satoh Beaver PTO Conversion Information needed

This brings up a point I hadn't thought about. Do pto generators even care which way they turn? ( gear issue? )

Soundguy

Tractor
    Kubota B7100DT

Go to the mitsu forum and post, you need to buy a gearbox (expensive) to reverse the direction of that PTO - otherwise any attachment will spin the wrong way. I would think the generator would at least need to be rewired to spin backwards and produce power....but there may be more to it than that.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would think the generator would at least need to be rewired to spin backwards and produce power )</font>

Though I'm not certain.. I'm not so sure. If it is generating ac, it just depends on how it handles it from there.

Old style dc generators could make positive or negative ground power, depending on how the unit was polarized, though it was wired up the same, and spun the same direction. Makes you wonder. Anyone got a schematic on a pto-gen design. i know many of them are brushless.

Soundguy

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Satoh S-470D, Mitubishi FD 1450D

I have the grey market version of a 373 Beaver. It has the 3 cylinder engine. My pto shaft is like yours but spins the correct way. When I bought it from Corriher (one of the advertisers here) it had the adapter on it. You can probably get one from them. Don't know a thing about the generators. You might get a bite on the adapter by posting on the Mitsubishi/Satoh forum like Soundguy said. Len or Bill can probably sell you one.

Tractor
    Kubota B7100DT

The shaft adaptor is 50 bucks and readily available, that simply makes the shaft the correct size. The spinning CCW is a more significant challenge.