JD 4100 Front Axle Gearcase Binds on Re-assembly

/ JD 4100 Front Axle Gearcase Binds on Re-assembly #1  

keeney

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST
Last weekend, I took apart the front wheel gearcase on my JD4100 to replace a leaking seal that was leaving annoying puddles of 90W on my garage floor.

I re-assmbled it, and the bevel gear between the axle housing and the steering pivot housing binds like the clearances are wrong.

As I was composing this post, I went to the JD website to download an exploded view to explain what I was talking about, and I noticed that I have assembled the parts in the wrong order. This is the same diagram I was using to guide me during re-assembly, so I am not sure how I messed it up, but I distinctly remember putting the thrust washer on the other side of the bearing from what is shown, so that is likely my problem.

So, with zero replies, TBN has helped me solve the problem.

Now I get the fun of draining and disassembling the front axle one more time. After all this work, it would have been easier to just let it leak.

- Rick

/ JD 4100 Front Axle Gearcase Binds on Re-assembly #2  
Rick keep thinking how much happier that you are going to be with a clean, dry floor and the extra effort will all have been worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JD 4100 Front Axle Gearcase Binds on Re-assembly #3  
It's amazing how often the attemt to explain a problem makes you realize what the solution is. Good luck on the retry.

Cliff

/ JD 4100 Front Axle Gearcase Binds on Re-assembly #4  
Making mistakes is learning; Not making them twice is Knowledge!!!

/ JD 4100 Front Axle Gearcase Binds on Re-assembly #5  
Experience is what you get just AFTER you need it! At least you realized it wasn't right and looked into it. Some guys would run it till it caused big problems.

/ JD 4100 Front Axle Gearcase Binds on Re-assembly
Took the wheel off, then the gearcase, removed the steering arm, and then the upper pivot gearcase, flipped the order of the thrust washer and bearing, put it all back together and cleaned up the tools in about an hour.

When you have taken something apart 4 or 5 times, you start getting good at it!

Wheel spins freely now, and no signs of leaking.

- Rick