1949 8N Tractor

/ 1949 8N Tractor #1  

proberly

I have had my tractor for about 2 years. Just recently it started burning lots of oil. When the cutting season ended I took the head off. Lots and lots of carbon. I removed the side plates and found one of the cast housing for the tappet was broken. This is part of the block. I could see into the crankcase. Not a big hole, but big enough. I feel like that is where the oil is coming from. Being that this is part of the block, does that mean that I have to replace the block or is there some kind of a repair that can be done? I am new in the tractor arena and have an awful lot of questions.
I can use all the help I can get. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 1949 8N Tractor #2  
Welcome to the forum. Hang tight, as there are some real experts on here that will give you some good advice.
My limited take on what you found, would be finding a used block. But hopefully there is a better (meaning cheaper) solution that can be tried.

/ 1949 8N Tractor #3  
Hello…
You might look into something like High temperature epoxies… Something like, http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/26300 The place you have this hole, is it an area that is under pressure, or that will need machining? These are all considerations in the choice of repair procedures. If it is strictly a barrier an epoxy like JB weld should work. KennyV.

/ 1949 8N Tractor #4  
The hole you found should just allow oil to drain back to the sump. Doesn't sound like it would inhale oil into cylinders. That said, IF that break extends to the cylinder wall, which may be hard to see, THEN you will burn oil. It would probably be fixable, but once done you'll end up rebuilding the engine. So if that turns out to be the proble, suggest you bit the bullet and purchase rebuilt engine and do it right. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ 1949 8N Tractor #5  
The N's had cylinder liners, so that clack probably isn't extending into the combustion chamber.. or he'd have a ton of blowby..

My bet is an oil control ring broke. Oem they had 4 rings.. 2 compression.. 2 oil control.. What usually happened is one oil control ring starved the other one anyway.. besides that you have the wear and tear of 4 rings on the jugs. New kits have 3 ring pistons.

Hard to say what the problem is without looking at the block.. but good used blocks are only about 325$ and readily available ( front or side mount).. ( 48 is a front mount ).

Soundguy