Fluid Level/Changes on JD4600 MFWD

/ Fluid Level/Changes on JD4600 MFWD #1  

rmonio

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4600, JD B
I posted a message concerning this in the JD Owning/Operating Forum - but I did not get a response. Anyone have any comments?

Link

Thanks!

-Bob

/ Fluid Level/Changes on JD4600 MFWD #2  
Bob, do your front axle or wheels have fluid leaking? When you say the "stick doesn't work well" do you mean you can't see the fluid on it? Can you mark your screwdriver so you can duplicate the depth of the dipstick?

I'd have to agree with the tech at your dealership on the MFWD axle, but you do need to know what you are looking at. You don't want to overfill, because the fluid has to expand when it heats up. If there is no air in the front differential, the fluid will blow out a seal.

On your engine, the dipstick doesn't say "ADD" until you are about a quart low. I think your front axle doesn't have to be topped off, but it should not go below the "LOW" mark on your dipstick. You just have to use your best judgement on where the level is.

/ Fluid Level/Changes on JD4600 MFWD
Jinman -

I'm not experiencing any leakage, but what I'm disturbed by is my inability to really read the dipstick. The JD dipstick is yellow - has a little rough area (about 1/2 inch) on the bottom - and that is where the fluid is supposed to be measured. The level has always been hard to read - I have a better time reading it with a appropriately measured screwdriver (same length as dipstick) that is inserted into the fluid entry point. The fluid seems to be a bit low - but it's no different than when the JD Tech checked it in August. I will check it again this evening - warmed up a bit - and see what it looks like. I do have fluid that I can add if it's indeed low - I just wish I was more confident in reading the dipstick and seeing what's going on... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Fortunately the unit doesn't hold that much and adding a little shouldn't hurt, I believe, if indeed it is low from what I'm reading. If you believe differently, let me know. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks for your help!

-Bob

Well I checked again this evening after running the tractor and then letting it stop for a few minutes. With both the screwdriver and dipstick as tests, I saw none on the stick and proceeded to add. Two ounces later and it began showing up on the dipstick (about 1/4 into the marked area on the stick).
I stopped at that point and decided to check it again tomorrow.

Question is: I still have 130 hours to go before I have to drain and change the MFWD fluid - but is 2 oz alot to have to replace after 3 years/287 hours of usage? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks for your help -

-Bob

I checked the fluid tonite before and after running the tractor for a while - it was about 1/4 of the way onto the dipstick measure (which is where I left it the night before). It didn't move up at all, nor did it go down, after running the tractor for a while and using the 4WD.

I think I'll leave it where it is and check it over with the JD Dealer to see what they say. It's not a problem - there's enough fluid in there (better than before) - I just think that JD could have done a better job with the measure (plus they use one of those caps that break easy if you take them off and on too many times - you know, the yellow one's with the two knobs sticking up that have to use a screwdriver on.. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif).

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd like to hear them - thanks for your help!

-Bob