Filter options

/ Filter options #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
I am getting ready to change the filters and fluids in my tractors. I search but did not find anything. I want to know what after market filters brands and part numbers are available for my TC33D. I called New Holland and they will not give me any info on the filters. What do you folks use and where do you get them? I need the brand and numbers for for the following 3 filters:
NH TC33D

motor oil filter
Hydraulic system oil filter
Hst system oil filter

Also the hydraulic oil is NH 134, where can I buy that other than the dealer? I heard Tractor Supply had something but I dont remember what?

Thanks,
Sherpa

/ Filter options #2  
Here is what Wixfilters.com says will fit your tractor:

Part Part No. Engine
Air Filter 42985 TC33D w/All (Inner)
Air Filter 46438 TC33D w/All (Outer)
Fuel Filter 33264 TC33D w/All
Hydraulic 57098 TC33D w/All
Oil Filter 51056 TC33D w/All

/ Filter options #3  
I'm just going to throw this out for the sake of it...

Why not use factory filters?

Are you going to change more frequently that the factory recommendations?

Filters are a hard call. How does one determine which is superior and which is inferior?

I don't know the answer. I started out changing filters at about twice the factory recommended frequency. Then they doubled the price and I thought, why not just follow the factory recommendations?

So now I still use factory filters, but also use their recommended frequency for changing rather than my own.

I am comfortable in doing this. And I decided not to worry about saving a buck or two ever six months by using after market filters.

I just don't know how to determine which filter is superior. So I fall back on the belief that the manufacturer probably supplies a filter that at minimum is satisfactory.

The other side of the coin could be that the manufacturer only worries about the initial waranty period, and only worries about supplying a filter that will guarantee reliability during those initial few years...

I doubt this is the case, but who really knows?

Still, I decided for the small cost difference I would stick with OEM filters...

/ Filter options #4  
Sherpa,
Those numbers have been posted numerous times, but unless your dealer is a few hours away, the price difference for a few filters a year is not that bad for me. I might save $8-10 a year??
Not worth it for me, I buy OEM.
Besides you can order them online from West Hill's Tractors or look up spencer200 a NH dealer(and member) who extended an offer to sell parts to anyone that contacted him.

/ Filter options #5  
you might want to check with NAPA their filters are made by WIX and more than likly can cross referce the filters you need.

/ Filter options
jayhawkRoy,
Thanks for the info!

Henro,
I bought a filter last year for my Kubota from the dealer and they charged me $32.00, I bought the same filter from NAPA for $5.99! I did the same thing on a motorcycle, I bought a filter for one of my bikes at the dealer and paid $9.00 and then I bought the same filter at Auto Zone for $3.49. I live way out of town and like to keep several filters on hand for whatever I use so I will get the best price and stock up on them saving even more.
Sherpa

/ Filter options #7  
Everyone has the right to choose which filter that they want to use for their own tractor, OEM or aftermarket. When our tractor was new I asked the same question here and at the time I got a response much like the one Henro or the Inspector made. Then we began to think about the investment of the tractor itself. Sure we all like to save a few bucks whenever we can but we don't think filters are the right place to do the price cutting IMHO.

/ Filter options #8  
<font color="blue"> Henro,
I bought a filter last year for my Kubota from the dealer and they charged me $32.00, I bought the same filter from NAPA for $5.99! </font>

Sherpa,

No question in my mind which I would buy if I could be sure the filters were the same quality.

I just don't know how to be sure...

That is just such a huge difference in price, one would hope there is more of a reason for that difference than just ripping off the tractor owner. But who knows? I sure don't.

I'm lucky the difference in price for the filters used on my tractors are not that great. If they were I might be right where you are on this... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Filter options #9  
This is hardly tractor related, but does go with the subject of replacement...so please...forgive the extension of comparison....a starter solenoid went out on my boat. A new one was $49.59! This is a cube of about 1" x 1" x 1". (And also quite a few years ago.) I checked at work (an auto company) for any companies we worked with to find where I might get one a bit cheaper. Turns out they were the same ones used as sindow motor relays and the people in that department handed me four and said good bye! Well, now they're available on any auto parts store shelves for just a few bucks. The window realys (same part number, by the way) was around 8 bucks at the auto dealer. Distributor cap was the same way. Almost 50 bucks for a Bosch replacement. Got the SAME PART NUMBER CAP from Murray's for less than ten! Don't know about the tractor dealers, but for sure the marina and boat suppliers sure do mark up!!

/ Filter options
I have a friend working at a motorcycle dealership. He said they order after market oil filters for $1.43 each. You bring in your bike for a oil and filter change and that is what they put in it and charge you $6.00 for the filter. These are excellent filters and some people actually say they are the best on the market.

I was on a web site about a year ago and read where this guy did research on all the filters on the market. He came up with some very interesting results. Some of the best known filters were the worst performers and some of the least expensive filters were great filters. He also found that some of the companys make the same filters and put different names and part numbers on them.

Sherpa