Reserve Fuel Tank and Sediment Bowl

/ Reserve Fuel Tank and Sediment Bowl #1  

8N_John

Silver Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
How does the reserve/main fuel tank work on an 8N? The knob on the sediment bowl says 2 turns for main, full open for reserve. Does full open include reserve only or reserve + main? What happens when it's open 3 or 4 turns (in between the two)? Does it matter where the knob is set when you fill up? I didn't see a separate opening in the sediment bowl valve that goes into the tank???

I just changed my sediment bowl. The new one has a nut on the back side (directly opposite the main/reserve knob). My old bowl didn't have this nut. What is it for?

/ Reserve Fuel Tank and Sediment Bowl #2  
Full open includes reserve + main tank. It doesn't matter where the knob is set when you fill up. With the reserve closed the bottom of the tank isn't emptied. When it is opened the whole tank is emptied.

/ Reserve Fuel Tank and Sediment Bowl
Is it normal for a sediment bowl to leak. I changed mine today and before attaching it to the carb, I checked for leakage. It dripped about once every 2-3 seconds. I took it back and exchanged it for another. The seconds one did the exact same thing. I don't know what I did wrong or if I just happened to buy 2 leaky sediment bowls.

/ Reserve Fuel Tank and Sediment Bowl #4  
Where is it leaking? I've seen new bowls leak around the shaft.. .. making you tighten the packing nut. Also.. some use a cheap cork gasket.. the are about useless. I use a neophrene one from napa.. part # 730-9506.. or one I cut from gasket paper.

Other than that the line fittings should be easy to seal... it's steel line , flair.

Soundguy