Setting Height on Brushhog

/ Setting Height on Brushhog #1  

8N_John

Silver Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
How do you set the height on a brushhog? I only have one hole on the vertical bar that attaches to the wheel on the back of my brushhog. Do you set the height simply with the hydraulics? Seems like the hydraulics would control the height of the front of the mower while the back is unadjustable?

/ Setting Height on Brushhog #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I only have one hole on the vertical bar that attaches to the wheel on the back of my brushhog.
)</font>

If you want or need more adjustment in the back of the cutter, add more holes to the vertical bar..

/ Setting Height on Brushhog #3  
Cutting height adjustment on all that I've ever used was done by raising or lowering the tailwheel using different holes in the framework. Quality and speed of cut can be affected by whether the cutter is level or the front edge higher. Seems that running level provides more "mulching" or chopping of the residue while raising the front a little reduces the load on the tractor and allows a little faster cutting.

/ Setting Height on Brushhog #4  
Do you know what brand of cutter? Or have a picture?

Bill Tolle

/ Setting Height on Brushhog #6  
Thanks for posting the Link Ron, I learned something. All these years I've been setting the front edge higher, seemed logical, but after reading the article the front edge needs to be set lower to keep from cutting the grass twice. Makes sense now that I think about it, just never occured to me. Goes to show how much there is to know and TBN sure has been a big help. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Setting Height on Brushhog
Thanks for the info and link. My brushhog is a Ford 951 "Special". Attached is a link. Not sure how the previous owner set the height in the back?

Attachments

• 557519-brushhog.jpg
    557519-brushhog.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 352
   / Setting Height on Brushhog #8  
I tried to crop and enlarge the applicable areas of your picture to clarify. Maybe spacers over the "axleshaft" that the wheel is attached to to lengthen or shorten it?
From the picture it looks like the "bushing" assembly at the end of the supporting framework that the axleshaft goes through has been replaced at some point. If not kept well greased they will wear to an oval and the tail wheel will bind when turning. Maybe when this was done the spacers were left off? Is there some sort of key and washer at the top of the axleshaft to prevent the wheel from dropping down or off when lifted?

Attachments

• 557685-557519-brushhog.jpg
    557685-557519-brushhog.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 321
   / Setting Height on Brushhog #9  
That flat piece of plate, in the middle of the back edge of the deck and extending up to the wheel support assembly, measuring about 2" x 9" or so usually has multiple holes in it. If not, I'd drill several about 1-1/2" apart. Moving the tricycle up or down and bolting through a different hole should be all you need. HOWEVER, with the whole thing bent and the wheel laying somewhat on it's side, it's never going to work well. Get it straightned before something breaks again.

I just noticed, that maybe the arms are welded rather than bolted at the front of the wheel assembly. If that's the case, I'd change that too, otherwise, nothing's moving.

Out at the front end, I'd suggest "check chains".

There should be a hole and then a washer (or even a couple) and then a cotter pin to hold the wheel spindle in place when the hog is lifted.

/ Setting Height on Brushhog #10  
Here is a good rookie question! The brushhog I want to buy has the adjustment on the bar for the tail wheel. But when you are cutting do you lower your 3PH all the way down?