New Exhaust for a Ford NAA

/ New Exhaust for a Ford NAA #1  

Ortis

Bronze Member
My NAA came with the vertcal exhaust stack broken off and a Harley motorcycle muffler stuck on the stub. I ordered a new pipe, which turn out to be a nicely bent sheet metal pipe. The issue is that the mufler connects to a casting that seems to have been made in one piece with the original stack. The casting is made with an integrally cast bracket that attaches to the engine for support. To use the new pipe, I guess I remove and toss the casting, and bend the strip of sheet steel that came with the new pipe to make a (flimsy) bracket to support the pipe. I think you have to have seen an NAA exhaust to understand my description. Has anyone else been thru this? Any advice?

Regards

/ New Exhaust for a Ford NAA #2  
There are a few aftermarket kits for verticle exhausts on the fords.. I prefer to keep my NAA and 660 underslung for less clearance issues.

Soundguy

/ New Exhaust for a Ford NAA
Thanks, soundguy. I thought vertical exhause was the "as built" version. I agree that rear exhaust is better, buth for clearance and for keeping exhaust out of your face.

/ New Exhaust for a Ford NAA #4  
My 600 Ford had a rear mount exhaust when I purchased it. I didn't like the heat on my left foot so I fixed an upright exhaust for it and have never regreted it. It is just high enough to get the fuems above my head. I think it is cooler on the engine too. I am realy looking foward to putting out a row of onions, mustard and taters out here soon. I am ready to plant my tomatoes (inside) soon as well. We plant by the moon signs, don't laugh it makes the difference in producing or not producing. Anyway the 600 Ford is used to make up the rows with and I like the upright exhaust......teddy

/ New Exhaust for a Ford NAA #5  
I have an underslung exhaust on my Ford 650 works great, I have issues with vertical pipes getting hung up in tree limbs then snapping back, and whipping me in the head.

/ New Exhaust for a Ford NAA #6  
I'm not sure how it was delivered, but the oldest pics we have of our NAA show it with the underslung exhaust it has now. Combined with the overall low-slung design and no ROPS (the only good thing about that last) - it sneaks through the woods pretty good and the exhaust sound and fumes are handled well away from the seat. The rear exhaust has worked out pretty good all in all.