Carb Cleaning

/ Carb Cleaning #1  

8N_John

Silver Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
Have a 52 8N with a carb that needs some attention. I am new to these things and need some advise on how to clean or "tune up" the carb. I have replaced the float and adjusted its height, replaced the needle and seat, and adjusted the timing.

How should I go about cleaning it? Is there a special brush I should use to get in those tiny holes? Any special carb cleaner? Would soaking it in something help?

Any other tips on a cleaning or "tune up" would be appreciated.

/ Carb Cleaning #2  
You can pickup a gallon can of carb cleaner at your local parts store. Put the carb in there for the reccommended time. Remove it and wash it down to remove the cleaner. Blow it out with an air hose and re-assemble it.

/ Carb Cleaning #3  
If it was running at all, I'd have tried adding some Sea Foam to the gasoline supply first. It made my Gravely run better from a cold start.

I generally use one of those spray carb cleaners. Haven't cleaned an 8N's though. My Dad has one. All I've done is buy him an emblem for it.

Ralph

/ Carb Cleaning #4  
The carb cleaner in the gallon gans does really work well. Just make sure you follow the instructions well, especially the part about good ventilation and removing rubber parts or gaskets from the assembly. That stuff is MEAN!
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jeff

/ Carb Cleaning #5  
Lacquer thinner is the basic ingredient of carb cleaner /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Carb Cleaning #6  
I agree with those recommending you buy the gallon of carb cleaner and dunking the carb. The stuff will take the skin off your hands. As was posted previously, wear rubber gloves.

The spray cleaner sold to clean carburetors can't get to the passages in the throttle body to dissolve the internal deposits. I wouldn't use anything harder than a toothpick to clean any of the passageways to avoid enlarging the them and changing the flow characteristics.

/ Carb Cleaning #7  
Guitar strings.. or fine copper wire works good..That also protects the cast iron carb.

I just cleaned one recently.. I used the chem dip.. and also gumout in the spray can.

Just remember to replace the throttle and choke packing.

Sundguy

/ Carb Cleaning #8  
Make sure you ware safety glasses, that stuff is nasty. You can be spraying down one passage, and it can come around 180 deg. hit you rright in the eye ball.

/ Carb Cleaning #9  
John,
I posted a group of links for you about 8Ns. You will find detailed instructions with pictures on rebiulding items on the 8n. I downloaded the Carb one and keep it in my work bench for reference. Suggest you do the same!!!
JD