Sparks out of diesel exhaust?

/ Sparks out of diesel exhaust? #1  

SteveM

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100DT
I have a 25 yr old Mitsubishi Beaver compact which has been a handy and reliable worker for me over the last couple years. Last nite, while plowing snow in -5 F temps, I noticed a couple times when the engine lugged a bit (letting out clutch in high gear) a couple sparks shot out of the exhaust....

A couple points of background info:
1) This seemed to happen only a couple times when the engine was still arguably warming up (I have block heaters on the tractor etc)
2) It was running fine, and since I dont normally use it at night, this may not be a new behavior.

Any ideas on why? Normal for an old girl?

THanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Sparks out of diesel exhaust? #2  
Normal for my John "its not a yanmar" Deere since new.

/ Sparks out of diesel exhaust? #3  
It's normal. The soot blows out hot. Watch a train switching yard. They idle the locomotive diesels all day then power up to move & flames will shoot out the top. They have fire trucks in the yard during dry spells to put out small grass fires along the tracks.

/ Sparks out of diesel exhaust? #4  
Sparks are a common diesel problem. John Deere has a optional spark arrester available for thier CUT's for about $15 as their exhausts are low mount. My 4310 exits near the front left tire.

/ Sparks out of diesel exhaust? #5  
If sparks are a concern, there are plenty of aftermarket spark arrestors. In California, many of our tractors come with spark arrestors. Mine did as have my neighbors. I have since removed mine and have yet to see a spark.

/ Sparks out of diesel exhaust? #6  
I have had lots of sparks in an old Ford 1720 with very little maintenance. Is there an arrestor for this model and what overdue maintenance should I do first? It needs a lot of tlc since it has been so neglected.

/ Sparks out of diesel exhaust? #7  
wow , Good question I have that same model and as I read this thread title I said to myself I ahve NEVER seem sparks from it.Could it just be carbon particles that were burning ?They make it right through the muffler it seems..