Another block heater question .

/ Another block heater question . #1  

GrayBeard

Gold Member
I've not had a problem yet starting my 7264 but I got the urge to install a hose type block heater.
My lower hose is only about 1" I.D. Will installing the inline heater in that small of a hose cause any flow problems ?
Also, the heater instructions say not to use in a hose with "wire support". My hose has a wire imbedded in the hose as opposed the the "loose " wire in the hose for support.
Do you think the wire is a problem ?
Thanks, GrayBeard

/ Another block heater question . #2  
Check with these guys Blue Ridge . I'll bet they can fix you up.

/ Another block heater question . #3  
I had a hose heater in a 1973 Benz. It worked fine and didn't cause any engine problems. That hose did not have any wire reinforcement.

Car started instantly in -20 F weather. Only trouble I had was wax gelling in the fuel filter that cut off the engine a couple miles down the road. Let sit about 30 seconds. Restarted and drove another couple miles; died again. Restarted after sitting another couple miles and was fine. Fuel filters sit right up against the engine on 220D and 240D Benz engines. Engine heat will eventually melt any wax on the filter.

Ralph

/ Another block heater question . #4  
I put a hose type block heater on my 7260 two years ago. It has made a huge difference. I just plug it in a couple of hours before I need it. It starts much easier, less clattering, and it warms up a lot quicker. I've got to believe it's quite a bit easier on the internals of the engine.

Corm

/ Another block heater question .
I got my block heater on and everything seems fine.
I guess I'll just have to experiment to see how long to run it .(depending on temp ?)
GrayBeard

/ Another block heater question . #6  
The bottom hose could collapse from the water pump 'sucking' coolant from the bottom of the radiator, especially if coolant got low. The longer and older the hose the worse the problem but lower radiator hoses last longer and stay stiffer since the coolant is considerably cooler than the top hose. I would think seriously about a block heater or using two shorter
hoses that bracket the inline heater. That way the wire in the hose would end before the end of the hose that clamps to the outlets. There is , I suppose, the theoretical potential for a short to the tractor with the wire touching the heater or even via the water (coolant)to the wire /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif A block heater would avoid all that and is more efficient.

/ Another block heater question .
Rch,
I thought about the "shorting" out issue but I figured the current may also go into the water thru the element just as easily, thus energizing the tractor anyway ?
Cub recommends a hose type heater; the cautionary note about the "wire" came with the heater.
Hopefully I won't have that problem.
Thanks, GrayBeard

/ Another block heater question . #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ................. There is , I suppose, the theoretical potential for a short to the tractor with the wire touching the heater or even via the water (coolant)to the wire /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif A block heater would avoid all that and is more efficient. )</font>

Please explain how a block heater is different in construction than an in-line heater so that one could possibly cause a short circuit and the other one wouldn't? They both are immersed in coolant, and both are of a resistance type heater, so your statement doesn't make any sense to me. Possibly you know something about these two almost identical devices that I am missing?/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif