TaiShan 304 tractor issues

/ TaiShan 304 tractor issues #1  

lutherboggs

The glow plug in the intake manifold on my Taishan 304 is connected to the fuel return line;What is the reason for this?
Also, please advise the life one should get from a glow plug in this machine.

/ TaiShan 304 tractor issues #2  
Some older diesels have a cold start feature that "dribbles" fuel into the manifold. The Chinese manufacturer might have copied that but I think you need an extra position on the ignition switch to activate it.

/ TaiShan 304 tractor issues #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The glow plug in the intake manifold on my Taishan 304 is connected to the fuel return line;What is the reason for this? -lutherboggs )</font>

Sounds like the Perkins / Yanmar 'Thermostart'. It put preheated fuel vapor into the manifold to help cold weather starting.

Here is an old thread with a parts diagram. Some of the posts preceding mine contain photos.

Is this what you have on the TaiShan?

/ TaiShan 304 tractor issues
the glow plug/heater has a fitting on top for the fuel return to connect and a single tab on the side for heater voltage. I know the old one is bad; have gotten a new one; have not installed yet, but see no way to stop the fuel from constantly going into the intake;maybe its a small amount and is ok for running. The thing does not seem to be capable of having an electrical control valve!! Any experience with such a heater?

/ TaiShan 304 tractor issues #5  
Both of my tractors have similar Thermostarts.
Both have just wire for glowplug. When glow is hot enough, bimetal opens valve and fuel drips on hot wire and flame up.
Just check does valve shut fuel properly after preheating, to avoid holes in pistons /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ TaiShan 304 tractor issues
Thanks much for the info on the bi-metal valve deal; I will check this out tho a new glowplug should be ok-I think.