Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD X485 AWS,B2410,RTV900

Default Adjusting a Tiller driveline slip clutch

How difficult is it to adjust a pto driveline slip clutch for a tiller? Can a novice non-mechanic handle this adjustment procedure? How often would this adjustment need to be done?

Thanks

JJT
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710 HST and a Kubota ZD21 60Pro

Default Re: Adjusting a Tiller driveline slip clutch

I adjust mine annually in the spring. I back off all the nuts a couple of turns, drop the tiller into the dirt to make sure the clutch slips, (free up the winter corrosion). Then tighten things up a turn. If the clutch slips breaking new ground I'll tighten the nuts another half turn. A little trial and error, but it works for me. Too tight and the clutch will not slip and you'll break something, too loose and the clutch will be toast in no time.

The first year I had the tiller I tried to set the tension using a torgue wrench, but you need 1 that will go down to inch pounds. I do it be feel on both the brush hog and the tiller.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    mahindra 4500

the adjustment on mine is by the length of the springs,according to the hp of the tractor..i have a 42hp mahindra and the spring length is supposed to be 26.25mm,the more hp you have the shorter the springs should be..

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 970

I guess I adjust my Howard the same as the others. Back off the nuts until the springs are loose, dig in and make it slip, tighten the nuts 4 flats ( 3/4 turn ) and try again. If it doesn't slip after the 4 flats on the nut tightening, I run it. I haven't hit anything that has caused the clutch to slip yet but I'm sure it will work when the time comes.
    Chris

Do a search using the words

Re: Slip clutch adjustment

Egon

Elite Member

"the adjustment on mine is by the length of the springs,according to the hp of the tractor..i have a 42hp mahindra and the spring length is supposed to be 26.25mm,the more hp you have the shorter the springs should be."

That doesn't sound right to me. It seems to me the clutch should slip, (and save your equipment), or not, (and damage something), regardless of how much horsepower you have, and the spring tension should be determined by the clutch manufacturer. That would be like using a bigger, stronger shear pin, the more horse power you have.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    mahindra 4500

normde2001,those specs came from the owners manual for my tiller,and from experiance they will slip when they have to,say when you hit a rock,stump ect.i have a 72" WAC tiller

Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH 2444

Norm,
    I would assume that the reason for the tighter clutch adjustments for a higher HP tractor would be to take into account the heavier duty PTO components in a higher HP tractor vs lighter duty ones in a lower HP tractor.

Ben