Hydrostatic Transmission help

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help
No, it was not working before the change. Today, I went out and check the clutch free play, which there was to much, so I adjusted it. Also today, I tried it again in high gear and this time it moved, but still not good, and in low gear, it was able to climb a hill better, but only a couple times then it stopped working again. I'm real confused. I did put a vise grip on driveshaft, started the machine and slowly let the clutch out, the motor stalled out, so I guessing my clutch is ok. So I'm guessing the problem is going to be somewhere in the hydro system. I'm wondering if I have a relief or bypass valve stuck, because it was sitting for a while. I'm not to sure of the hours, it says 854, but it doesn't work and I don't now when it stopped. Also, I bought this from a friend, who told me something was wrong with the tranny, but I got it cheap. Looks like it's probably going to Kubota next week.$$$$$$ /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help #12  
With the tractor off, clutch out, can you roll the tractor in low or high gear?

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help #13  
Was there metal in the oil you drained out or on the magnet of the drain plug or filter? Call your local Kubota dealer. It could be something simple or it could be the travel pump and motor. They should be able to check it out. They have the equipment to check the pressure and flow the pump. Talk it over with them ask them how much to diagnose the problem then after they find out how much to repair.

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help #14  
We still have not heard whether the tractor will coast, or not, (brakes stuck).

When it's in high gear with motor off, I can roll it forward and backward. In low gear I can roll in backward, but it won't roll forward. It seems to be working better now in reverse in high gear, but you still have to mess with the it to get it to go forward. Thanks for your help.

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help #17  
Interesting.... This leads me to believe that you have a problem in your drive train and not the hydro.

Does this tractor have a lever that lock both rear wheels for traction?

Yes, it has a locking differential, and it does work. I believe the drivetrain is working correctly, but I could be wrong. I got my workshop manual today, so now I should be able to better diagnosis it. Thanks.

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help #19  
Does this tractor have a hydraulic pickup/return screen that could be clogged up?

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help #20  
It is great that you have the WSM for the tractor. It should turn on the lights. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Are your thinking about repairing it yourself?

To elaborate a bit on my thinking.... With the tractor in gear, you should not be able to roll the tractor. I can't think of any way you can spin a hydro system with the engine off. It is bothersome that you can roll one direction in low but not he other. My initial thoughts were that the drivetrian had some gear problems. But if the hydro has really bad leakage, that might not be a good test. I guess a hydro malfunction could do a lot of strange things.

I was going to suggest that engaging the diff lock might be an additional test of the drivetrian, but now I am not sure.

Did you listen for gear noise as you rolled?

Would like to hear what you find.