Ford 758 BH modification!

/ Ford 758 BH modification! #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
I recently bought a used Ford 758 BH. She was worked hard and put up wet. I plan to work on it and get it back to good condition.

I don't know very much about BHs. I saw it a few months ago for $1200. It was mounted on a Ford 600? tractor. I did see it operate. The issue is the stabilizers go down but, not enough to lift the rear of the tractor. The attempt at diggng was hampered by the fact it wanted to drag the tractor.

The valves that operates the stablizers has been replaced with a remote set. In addition, they had to install a on/off valve that made the sablizers work or the bucket control. But not both. OK, this is not great but, turning the valve to operate the stablizers is not so bad......if it worked.

It has a new Prince pump that mounts on the PTO shaft. Can't determine the size, name plate is destroyed for Model number area??????IAC, only SS number 293239. It's about 7" wide 10" tall.

First attachment is the Ford BH 758 BH from a distance.

Attachments

• 593147-Ford 758 BH 1.jpg
    593147-Ford 758 BH 1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 511
   / Ford 758 BH modification!
Here is a photo of the control valves for the bucket control. Notice on the left where the lines head back.

Attachments

• 593150-Main valves mod.jpg
    593150-Main valves mod.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 251
Here is where they go..to the remote set that controls the stablizers

Attachments

• 593151-Remote Valve.jpg
    593151-Remote Valve.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 231
OK last view. Back view with the new tank and Prince Pump.

Attachments

• 593153-Back View.jpg
    593153-Back View.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 278
So here the question. Could Aux valve for the stablizers cause this 'weak' condition?

/ Ford 758 BH modification! #6  
I don't know. I ran a 758 on a Ford 2120 for about 15 years. Ran off of tractor hydraulics, worked great. If I recall the stabilizers could lift the loaded tires, but if I really wanted them off the ground I would lift the rear end side by side with the hoe and then drop the stabilizers. You got a great price. Mine sold for about 4000 to a dealer.

Andy

/ Ford 758 BH modification! #7  
The auxhilary valve sounds like the culprit. I think that the spool valve for the stabilizers needs to be repaired right. Theres no telling at the hydraulic valves ive had given to me as folks bought new things because they had had bypass valves added on the wrong port or to bypass a faulty valve then it caused more problems. Did you try to rev the tractor up when letting the outriggers down? Im trying to think about what could be wrong. The add on vavle should be on the return to tank line to.

The aux valve for the stablizers is on one of the two 'outs' on the Prince pump. The shut off for the stablizer is on this line going to the aux valve. Then the 4 lines that would have gone to the original set of valves come off the top of this aux valve. The return from the aux valve "T"s in to the return from the main set. It could be bleeding off through the main set. I think this might be the case because; When the aux valve shut off is closed, main set works fine. but when the valve/shut off is open the mian set moves but very little. I could likely have an additional shut off on the Aux return and completely isolate that circut. But two shut offs would be quite a pain in arse!

I agree, I should invest in having it returned to the original set up. I guy I bought it from, a tractor junk dealer, has the old valves. Can they be rebuilt? If they can or be replaced at a fair price in looks like a simple fix

Thank you for your advice. I'm looking forward to getting this mounted on my new KAMA 454 that is to arrive in one week!

Patrick