Side Link Repair

/ Side Link Repair #1  

ChuckT

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1510D
I noticed that the ball socket on the left side link on our tractor is much looser than the ball socket on the right side link.

I will probably buy a replacement link but I saw that Agri Supply has ball sockets & replacement balls listed in their catalogue & I think I've also seen them in the TSC stores.

I didn't think that the ball or the socket was replaceable. How is this done?

cvt

/ Side Link Repair #2  
Some of the larger tractors ( JD for sure ) have replaceable balls.. that way.. a cat 3 tractor could use.. say.. a cat 2 implement.. the ball can be replaced instead of using a sleave bushing.. etc.

Is the ball insert worn.. or is the socket being wallowed out and the edges opening up?

Depending on what you want to put into this.. i've seen quite a few lift arm socket repairs.. both elegant.. and gross. Everything from heating it red hot and using a ball peen hammer to close the socket clearance back up, to welding a large ID thick washer over the outter edge where the socket is opening up.. to even just building the socket up with weld.. then grinding dwon. As farm repair goes.. they all worked.. I'm not sure if you get points for looking good when your worried about getting the field done on time! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Soundguy

/ Side Link Repair #3  
In addition to the information supplied by soundguy you can pick up these weld on ends at places like Tractor Supply. You simply cut your old ones off and weld these in place, walla new ends. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They also carry them for the side links and lower lift arms.

Attachments

• 596389-ball.jpg
    596389-ball.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 169
   / Side Link Repair #4  
Good point!

Soundguy

/ Side Link Repair #5  
I don't think that it would be a practicle repair to weld a new end on the side link on our Yanmar. So I'll just buy a repalcement.

cvt

/ Side Link Repair #6  
Why not?? That's what they make them for.. way cheape rthan a new set of arms.

Soundguy

/ Side Link Repair #7  
Welcome to TBN CVTintera !

I have to agree with soundguy. Even if you dont weld you could take both arms to a muffler shop and most likely for a 12 pack you could get it welded. The reason I say take both so the length can be matched.