Oil Leaking - Mice to blame?

/ Oil Leaking - Mice to blame? #1  

8N_John

Silver Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
I pulled the old Snapper 48" lawn tractor out of the shed the other day. Found a couple mice nests and when I went to pull of the air filter cover, I noticed some mice crap in the air filter housing (looked like they had nibbled on the foam prefilter, but then decided they didn't like it.
Anyway, I cleared out all the poop and nests and used it today for the first time since fall. I noticed oil leaking pretty bad. Looks like it was coming from near where the engine and air filter compartment meet. I pulled the air filter and notices some oil had splashed up underneath it. What would cause oil to splash up into the air filter compartment?? I did add some oil because it was low.

Could the cause be from a mice nest inside the engine? Don't know how I would look without taking a lot of stuff apart. Any other things that I should look at as the cause??

/ Oil Leaking - Mice to blame? #2  
IT's possible the breather vent is stuck, but more likely the rings are. I'd suggest pulling the plugs and squirting some Parts Blaster in each cylinder and give the engine a few turns by hand. Let it set overnight, with the plugs just barely loose. Snug them up the next day and then fire it up. It sounds like some oil got pushed past some sticky rings is all. It might also be a good idea to change the oil and replace 25% of it with Rislone. After a few uses, change the oil again and use 100% of what ever you usually use.

/ Oil Leaking - Mice to blame? #3  
yep I just sent my MTD 20 HP Briggs and Stratton to my Brother -in Law because the rings locked up in it.

He is going to put the rings in it and I am going to sell it afterwards