Diesel engine blow by

/ Diesel engine blow by #11  
If fuel is makeing it into the oil,, along with level rise on the dip stick you should easily be able to notice the smell of diesel in the oil on dip stick. Just don`t get too close to the nose the diesel smell will stay with you all day *S*

/ Diesel engine blow by #12  
"I am not experiencing any oil consumption, but when I check the oil after about 20 hours of use the oil just drips off of the dipstick like dirty water"

Maybe it is dirty water. I would suspect/inspect for a blown head gasket, etc. Check for bubbles in radiator when started up cold. Any sign of oil in cooling system? Drain the oil and let it sit in a clear container and check for water in the bottom after a while.

/ Diesel engine blow by #13  
Water in the crankcase should form a whitish or dirtbrown emulsion.

Egon

/ Diesel engine blow by #14  
<font color="blue"> If the oil is becoming diluted with fuel [ Which it sounds like ] perhaps a real checkup is in order at a proper Doctors office. </font>

Gets my vote!

The puffs coming out of the breather may be fuel vapor. The "puff rate," for lack of a better term, tends to indicate it is related to something driven off of the camshaft. Fuel may be getting into the oil through a bad injection or lift pump.

A qualified diesel mechanic should be consulted right away. There may be a risk of significant additional damage if the machine is operated in its current state.

If atomized fuel is somehow present in the crankcase, there could be a risk of explosion. I suspect the risk would be low, but it should be considered.

/ Diesel engine blow by #15  
There are many companys that can do an oil analysis for you. Most parts stores or fleet repair companys can give you a company name. The analysis will also tell you if there is any excess wear or if antifreeze is in the oil. I'm not sure of the price but I think it is under $20. We do analysis on our trucks at work and were able to almost double the oil change intervals.

/ Diesel engine blow by #16  
This doesn't look good, do you know the history of the machine?
Did someone by chance use ether on it??

KO

/ Diesel engine blow by #17  
Also check the oil before start up, after it has set overnight. That way we can know if it is fuel or water doing the diluting. Sometimes a "little" water is hard to detect after the engine has been started. Also if you are saying it is thin when you drain it, if you run it it does thin out quite a bit when it gets hot. Most people run there engines before draining them. Just trying to cover all the bases /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Hope you get this worked out.

KO

/ Diesel engine blow by
Thanks for all the help guys. I haven't noticed a rise on the dipstick level, and I don't smell fuel in the oil. I think what I will do is submit the oil sample for analysis and go from there. I currently am not using the machine due to company down time, and will wait for the analysis before proceeding further.

Thanks again to all!

/ Diesel engine blow by #19  
i have a bobcat 763 kubota engine it leaking oil it has a little blow by do they have a little blowby

/ Diesel engine blow by #20  
What have you been using for oil? It does make a difference from what we see in our shops. With no noticeable oil consumption how is it stored, in a heated garage, or cold? When you do run it, how long of an interval is normal?