What do you all think about this welder if I were

/ What do you all think about this welder if I were
or would this one be better for a 110 box and just get a decent 240 welder later??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67043&item=7504705644&rd=1

I mean this one here for the price... could you not beat this deal? $50 for a 100 amp 110 volt buzz box? That is what the one I borrowed from my grandfather was and it worked decent but he is using it now and I want my own

what do you guys think? Should I go with one of these or should I hold off and get the Clarke 130 amp 110v from Harbor Frieght for $149

Let me know what you think

/ What do you all think about this welder if I were #3  
Interesting, The welder must be made fairly cheaply to sell for that. Chinese made no doubt, but then some of the brand name welders made over there now.
It might work fine though, for light to moderate use. 110 volt outlets are usually restricted to 20 amps, which is about half of the current it should require on 220 volts. So I would suspect that you might only get 100 amps or so out if it when the input voltage is 110 volts.
I too am curious about this unit, might mount it on my generator cart for portable welding.
Anyone have any experience with these units ?

Ben

/ What do you all think about this welder if I were
My grandfather lent me a cheapy 110 volt 100 amp welder that I used for a couple weeks for welding up a couple adapters and brackets for the hitch on my tractor and with the 7014, 6011 and 6013 rods in 3/32 it worked really well.
Northern tools has a $149 110 welder that is rated at 130 amp that I have been looking at and was going to get but if this one on ebay pans out to be half decent I think for the $$$ difference it might be worth a try. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the cheapy one.

/ What do you all think about this welder if I were #5  
I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the cheapy one.
//

Yeah me too. Any cheap DC ones out there ?
Ben

/ What do you all think about this welder if I were #6  
I have a cheap as it comes £40 welder. Does the job great. Nothing wrong with it. It dont matter that after a while it overheats as it gives you time to make a cuppa tea and realign you spine. So far the only problems are:
burned a hole in the earth clamp, really thin metal
cables to short
not much power (it is the smallest, 130A) gor real slow then its fine tho.

runs on a 13 amp fuse but i have 240V standard in UK
PROPER JOB!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ What do you all think about this welder if I were #7  
I was going to say you get what you pay for, but then, at $90, it's a throw away item. Use it on a couple jobs and buy a new one if necessary. If you only have a couple welding projects you will be ahead of buying a nice welder and only using it once or twice.

As a side note, my Lincoln MIG is 14 years old and it still runs perfect. My Lincoln TIG is only 5 years old and it's still perfect. Have probably used the MIG for many hundreds of hours, and the TIG less than half the time of the MIG. Granted, they were both magnitudes more expensive than the one you are looking at.

/ What do you all think about this welder if I were #8  
Me too... OK, I know absolutely nothing about the subject, except I want (need) a welder for projects related to building the new house and of course, my tractor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif . How might either of these work off a genset? I've got a Generac 7550EXL, with 120/240 Volt AC,30 Amp Locking Receptacle as one of my options. I will never have commercial power avail as the new house will be solar powered. Any thoughts?

David

/ What do you all think about this welder if I were #9  
DaMadman the duty cycle on the welder u linked to is completely unrealistic. With 10% at 200a that means u can only weld a that output 1min out of 10mins. And its only rated to 20% at 130a.

To me that says something about the quality of the machine. I don't think any of the major manufactures make a 200 amp machine that will run on 120 volts. I'd look in to 130amp Clarke or Hobart if your looking a decent but cheep machine. On the other hand if it only temporary and u aren't weld think material it will most likely get the job done.

/ What do you all think about this welder if I were #10  
You might want to check Sears they had a 110 volt Clarke 130 amp for about $130.00. I have no experience with the Clarke but I was thinking of getting one to take where I didn't have 220 volt for my Lincoln. Daveh1 Mitsubishi D-2050 & Honda Rancher /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif <font color="red"> </font>