u-joints for implement shaft

/ u-joints for implement shaft #1  

titan307

Tractor
yanmar ym1500
i am going to change the end on my implement drive shaft and know i will probably loose the needle bearings in the u-joint cups. where can i get another or are they prety much standard?

/ u-joints for implement shaft #2  
I don't know how standard they are but size will be dependant upon driven load so they aren't likely to all be the same. If they are greasable then give em a good shot before you begin and the rollers will stick in the cup or onto the spider and at least not scatter. If you think you won't be sucessful then by all means have spares before you begin. The dealer of the implement may be able to supply spares.
Best of luck,
Martin

/ u-joints for implement shaft #3  
Complete U-joints are relatively inexpensive and available at most TSC stores. I think I saw them at less than 20 bucks average. A spare might not be bad insurance if you plan to disassemble the works.

/ u-joints for implement shaft #5  
I just replaced the U-Joints for my rototiller pto shaft. They were off the shelf items at my local auto parts store. We spent several minutes measuring the cross width and the cap size to find the right ones. I would recomend replacing the joints if you have to take them apart.

/ u-joints for implement shaft #6  
If the bearing cups show wear than I would replace them. Taking them apart is not a big deal, the greasing before as stated above works very well. The part might have a number on it and should also have the manufactor. Napa or any other good auto supply should be able to hook you up again as stated above /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Never hurts to have spares /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Steven

/ u-joints for implement shaft #7  
Guys I just gotta ask this. Why did your U-joints go bad?

I've been farming all my life. The only U-joint I ever had go bad was on a 28 year old Lely spreader. It just slam wore out. I ran a 1217 JD hay conditioner for 14 years and the joints were still tight when I traded it in. Had a NH square baler for 27 years and they were still good when I sold it. Last year I sold a bushhog brand 5 ft. rotary cutter that was bought by my dad in 1977. We bent and broke a lot of things on that but the joints were still good on the pto shaft. I just sold a Caroni 67" tiller that I just put new tines on. The old tines were shot. That pto shaft is still tight as a new one.

Just wondering why and not trying to start a war here. I just don't have problems with u_joints.

/ u-joints for implement shaft #8  
I have replaced lots of u-joints over the years and never lost a needle bearing yet. It's not likely if you work carefully.

/ u-joints for implement shaft #9  
Titan, I worked in a auto parts store for about 25 years, these u-joint's aren't hard to find, if you do lose some of the needles just take the old u-jount cross, and your old cups, they can measue, the cross and cups and fix you right up, if your real careful, even if you drop some needle, just put them back in the cup, make sure you have all of them, and put a little grease to help them hold, the old fibered wheel bearing grease, worked great for this, but that's long gone, hope this helps.
Frank

/ u-joints for implement shaft #10  
You've had good luck. Whengreasing a u-joint, often one cup won't take the grease as easily as the others therefore the grease comes out around the dust seals of the easy ones and doesn't reach the last one causing it to dry out, and eventually powder the needles. Bingo, bad ujoint. have replaced hundreds over the years, although implement shafts don't seen to be nearly as bad as automotive ones, but then they don't travel at the speeds either.
Hope this answers your question.
Richard.