cut down pto shaft

/ cut down pto shaft #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I finally got around to cutting the pto shaft down on my 10' 3pt mower. The shaft would have been ok, but the mower has a slip clutch. So far.. I've just set the limiter on the 3pt lever so i wouldn't raise the mower too high.. but always worried it may slip and then I'd be in fo a big pto repair.

I didn't plan to do it this weekend.. but it's been on the back burner for a while. Came up with some time on staurday and set about pulling the shaft apart and removing the shield. Measured it all up and ended up cutting 4" off each side
( shield and shaft). That worked out perfectly. When it was all back together, I had 3+" of 'extra' compresion available, when the pto shaft was at it's shortest point with the lift up.

I doubt I'll do much running with a 2600# 10' mower dangling inthe air behind the tractor.. but there are a few times when i need to clear a narrow dirt embankment and it would be nice than just dragging thru it.

I will say that that pto shaft material is some tough stuff. I sacrificed 3 good hacksaw blades getting it cut. After cutting, I used my angle grinder to lightly dress the ends, and then a flat file to de-bur. This shaft was kinda ovaled-triangular and keyed as it had 2 points and one flat..

I greased it back up and put it on. Nice heavy shaft.. did i mention that? Must have been 1/4" thick.. and expanded to almost 5' long.. So easy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif to hold the twist collar open, and slide it on the tractor stub while holding that monster up.

Now I've got some piece of mind that I can't push my pto stub/seal and bearing in accidentally. My stepfather did this last year on his JD 2240 I had to help him repair it.. split tractor.. replace ind pto clutch.. some locking rings, seals, and bearings. Not a bad job.. but took a couple days and about 500-600$ in parts... I don't feel like going thru that with my tractor..

Did I mention that I thought I would never get those shafts cut? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Soundguy

/ cut down pto shaft #2  
I helped a friend shorten his by about 3". He had a metal cutting blade on his circular saw. Made quick work of the cuts. Dressed it with a file, cleaned and greased it, and right back on in no time at all.

/ cut down pto shaft #3  
So.... Were those shafts hard to cut??? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I takes a few minutes to work up enough nerve to start sawing on something like that... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I CUT IT OFF THREE TIMES AND IT'S STILL TOO SHORT /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ cut down pto shaft
Yep.. Youv'e hear of measure twice and cut once.. well.. I measured about 10 times. I measured overlap.. and then max length.. minimum lenght.. leasured mower to tractor while hooke dup.. etc. Finally came up with my number.. glad it worked perfectly...

and yes.. it was some hard stuff to cut!

Soundguy

/ cut down pto shaft #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So.... Were those shafts hard to cut???)</font>

I cut 4" off one for my dad last weekend using a bandsaw. It was a little slow but I wouldn't say it was hard. I honestly don't know if I'd want to do it by hand like Soundguy did because that does sound like it would be hard.

I've also had good success using my Sawzall.

/ cut down pto shaft #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Were those shafts hard to cut??? )</font>

I've only had to cut one (the Bush Hog tiller shaft) and at the time, I didn't have the right kind of power saw, but did have a vice to hold it steady and a good new hacksaw blade, and it was actually much easier than I expected.

/ cut down pto shaft
I did stick mine in the vice to hold it.. but shucks.. like i say.. went thru 3 blades to get both sides of the shaft cut. Course.. mind you.. this is a big pto shaft.. rated for 150hp.. etc.. for my 10' mower still. I'd have LOVED to have had a bandsaw!, or a set of metal blades for my 18v sawsall.. course.. I wasn't prepaired for the work.. just stumbled onto some time this weekend..

Soundguy

/ cut down pto shaft #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( this is a big pto shaft.. rated for 150hp )</font>

I 'spect that might not only be bigger, but maybe even harder steel than the one for a little 40" tiller. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ cut down pto shaft #9  
I feel your pain. I about had a heart attack cutting my KK tiller shaft with a hacksaw. I probably need to measure and cut some more. Which would be best - a reciprocating saw with metal blades, a cutting wheel in a 4" angle grinder, or a metal cutting blade in a skilsaw?

/ cut down pto shaft #10  
Sawz All with metal cutting blade works great!
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifLeo