2 stage clutch not clutching on stage 2

/ 2 stage clutch not clutching on stage 2 #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
We’ve got a IH-444 that sadly, is worse for it’s wear.

I discovered the clutch was stuck from sitting idle for most of the winter. (peddle wouldn’t depress)

Got it unstuck, fired tractor up, attached mower, went to cut field. Engaged clutch again to engage blades and got GRINDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Upshot, it won’t disengage the pto using the two stage clutch. I put rpms down to about 3 rpm (as in three) which obviously isn’t accurate. None the less, I put rpm’s down as far as I could go, DID get blades engaged and cut field. Ok, so I jammed the lever in to engage the blades, there I admit it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Obviously we have an issue.

Any thoughts on how difficult/easy this issue might be? The clutch otherwise seems to be working fine. Just “part 2” of the two stage range.

/ 2 stage clutch not clutching on stage 2 #2  
Richard,
Check your clutch freeplay/pedal height first. Top of Pedal should be 6 inches off the deck with somewhere around 3/4 inch of freeplay. If this is ok the do the following.

Take off the inspection plate on the bottom of the clutch housing. (4 bolts) There are 3 adjustment points to jack up some screws/studs to dis-engage the second stage of the clutch. I forget the exact gap with the clutch not depressed, but I believe it is about .080 or so, will check and reply back later.
Get someone else to press the clutch while you watch what is happening, if the ends of the studs do not press on the tabs sticking out the second stage will not release. hint, it is in the center of the main clutch, well sortof....Adjust these 3 points evenly all around.
Ben

/ 2 stage clutch not clutching on stage 2 #3  
Your machine may be old enough to start with the pto engaged until you get the 2 stage worked out. This may save your pto gears the gnashing you gave them.

Not a good solution long term but maybe using it a bit will free up the 2nd stage of the clutch.

/ 2 stage clutch not clutching on stage 2 #4  
I have a Kubota L2850 that has the same problem, I can't locate the inspection plate on the right side of the flywheel housing, I think it is being blocked by the loader, when i need to use the pto I start it engaged. but when I get the chance I will remove the loader and check the clearence

/ 2 stage clutch not clutching on stage 2 #5  
Maybe the PTO disc is stuck as well. Also, when the main (transmission) disc gets some wear on it, the internal adjustments referenced in the other posts get thrown out of whack, giving your symptoms. I would suspect the .080" figure mentioned is very close. New Holland and Ford compacts are around .060".

/ 2 stage clutch not clutching on stage 2 #6  
Richard,
Any update on this problem ?

/ 2 stage clutch not clutching on stage 2
Several days ago, Uncle took tractor to a nearby guy who tinkers in his garage. he's supposed to get to it "soon" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'll post results when I get them. My guess given age/general upkeep of tractor is the clutch just finally said no more.

/ 2 stage clutch not clutching on stage 2 #8  
The clutch could be a goner. I thought mine was, but I was able to adjust the PTO stage and all is well now. My Tractor is a 2444 just the industrial ver of the 444.

Ben

/ 2 stage clutch not clutching on stage 2 #9  
I had the same with my L2850, I lost gears and I am in the process of replacing them now. The trans. pto disc was worn but the 2 stage looked almost as good as the new one. The tractor only had 1600 on it when I bought it so it may have been stuck. I show wear on the adjustment screws would that be that they need turned out? Any help would really be appreciated, thanks