Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 855, 322, AMT626 plus whatever my son dragged home this month

Default Can you overcharge a battery with trickle charger

Can a 1 amp trickle charger overcharge a battery? After a 4 hour power outage this weekend (while we were away) I want to use a 12volt bilge pump as a backup for my sump pump, and was thinking of hooking up a small trickle charger to keep it topped off. Most of the automatic chargers will charge and stop, but won't restart later, whereas the trickle charger just keeps trickling.

thoughts?

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

Default Re: Can you overcharge a battery with trickle charger

There are small maintainers that will keep the battery charged, but not over charge it. I have had one on my generator battery for 4 years and never had any problems.

Yep, like Jerry said, buy one that's made for that purpose.

Veteran Member

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yep, like Jerry said, buy one that's made for that purpose. )</font>

I do what Jerry and Bird said.
    An alternative is to put your trickle charger on a 24 hour timer (if you have one laying around) and set it to come on for an hour a day. If you don't have a timer, I would buy the tender instead.

Tractor
    BX 2230

If you are going to get a charger and leave it conected make sure that the charger is rated for constant conection. I never thought about it but when I bought my quad several diferent people (dealer and owners) suggested that I get one that is rated for constant use. I think the price diference was 5 bucks. May or not make a diference it might just be because the batterys are so much smaller than a car or deep cycle battery.

Tractor
    L3710 GST

Here is another option. No worries if power goes out for weeks.

Solar charger

Tractor
    New Holland TC29D, 2001

I have an older trickle charger. The last thing you ever want to do is to leave it hooked to a battery when the power goes out. It will along alot of other battery chargers actually drain the battery. So get one that is designed to be on all the time. I also believe alot of the newer ones will not actaully drain a battery anymore.

murph

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

I have a couple of "Battery Tenders" which I use for maintaining the batteries on the motorcycles over the winter. they work good and can be left hooked up basically indefinately. Cost was about $20.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030 HSTC, MF 5455, Kubota M120, Allis Chalmers 7010

El cheapo trickle chargers will overcharge. I left one on a battery by accident and came into the garage a week later. I could hear a sizzling noise and traced it to the very warm battery that was boiling either by some chemical reaction inside or just plain too hot.

I unplugged it and left it alone until it cooled as I have heard of overcharged batteries bursting and spewing acid.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have an older trickle charger. The last thing you ever want to do is to leave it hooked to a battery when the power goes out. It will along alot of other battery chargers actually drain the battery. So get one that is designed to be on all the time. I also believe alot of the newer ones will not actaully drain a battery anymore )</font>

I fthe old unit is diode isolated.. it won't discharge the battery when not running, unless one or more of the diodes are not functioning correctly (leaky) .. etc. There might also be some picoamps of back current flow across those silicon junctions.. but nothing measurable with any kind of test equipment the average person is going to own.

Soundguy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast