Steering column/Steering line problems

/ Steering column/Steering line problems #1  

Sarge

Bronze Member
Tractor
B1700
Replaced my 3rd power steering line this weekend ( In feed line). I believe the problem is the fact that there is only 2 bolts at the bottom of the column that attaches it to the floor/frame. Over a period of time with all the wiggling as you drive it tends to develop a lot of play in the column and a small crack develops in the line (usually where the fitting screws into the column). On the return line I was able to put hose between the 2 fitting using clamps to secure them, no luck with in line. My thought is to make a bracket from the column to the tractor about 1/2 way up the shaft to take the play out of it. Not much to connect it to though /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Any Ideas??? It's a 9 year old Kubota B1700 and these lines are the only problems that I've had really.....

Sarge

/ Steering column/Steering line problems #2  
What about a couple bunjies as stabiligers.

Also.. I've seen a guy take a piece of thick hose just a tad bigger than the hose/line he was stabilizing.. slide it over the smaller line.. and then that acts as a stiffener. You can then zip tie/pipe clamp to that 'sheath'.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Steering column/Steering line problems
Soundguy-

That idea may just work! I still can't believe that only 2 bolts were meant to hold this thing stable.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Steering column/Steering line problems #4  
Hey guys. I would like to reopen this post and ask for some help. I have the same problem with my B1700. The power steering supply line cracks at the flare when the two bolts loosen. Even though its my fault for not keeping an eye on it. That is the problem. My question is..... where can you find the fittings to make a flex line? My friend at NAPA tried helping but we can not find the correct male fittings to make the line. I have looked online and cant find anything that even looks as if would work. I appreciate any help. I am tired of buying lines from Kubota.

Thanks in advance
James

/ Steering column/Steering line problems #5  
Ok I found your post James.
I would look around your locality and see if I could find a hydraulic store that sells hydraulic parts and hoses. See if they could help you.
As I understand it you have some bolts that keep working loose. I would pull the bolt out and cross drill the head of the bolt and safety tie wire the two together.
My old ford steering box would work loose and that is what I did.

/ Steering column/Steering line problems #6  
Thanks,

The safety wire is something I should have thought of. We do that all the time at work. I dont have a hydraulics dealer close. Thats why I was trying to find it online. Kubota it seems has odd sizing on the lines and the male fittings are a little different.

Thanks again

/ Steering column/Steering line problems #7  
Ahh.. the infamous kubota (replace often ) hy pow steer lines.

soundguy

/ Steering column/Steering line problems #8  
Hey guess what..... I just broke the power steering line (again) this is I think number 4. KC I crossdrilled and saftey wired the problem bolt and it did last longer this time. Looks like I will be taking a 45 min drive to the Hyd store. I am going to try to have some flex lines made.

/ Steering column/Steering line problems #9  
hmmm.. disposable ps lines?

soundguy

/ Steering column/Steering line problems #10  
I know...I know Soundguy:)