Blue/white exhaust smoke - what is causing this?

/ Blue/white exhaust smoke - what is causing this? #11  
I agree with others, a fuel change is a good place to start. I would also change the fuel filter. I had a similar problem a couple weeks ago and was told it could be a broken or damaged fuel injector, bad valve, cracked head, bad pump, etc. Turns out, I flipped the compression release lever very hard a few times and the white smoke stopped and all was well. Start with the easy (cheap) things first, sometimes it's a very simple problem to fix. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Blue/white exhaust smoke - what is causing this? #12  
Here is yet another cause. I just had my older B2150 diagnosed for white smoke, low power , etc. .

Besides H20, white smole can be an indication of un-burnt fuel.

This could be caused by bad injectors, fuel pump, or low compression from bad valves, rings/cylinders, etc. . Like others said, do all the easy stuff first. For about $200 +/-, a mechanic should be able to do some diagnostic tests to determine the problem (compression, leak down, injectors, etc.). Good luck.

/ Blue/white exhaust smoke - what is causing this? #13  
We recently cleaned the fuel tank on our g5200. We took off the right rear tire, took fuel filter off, opened tank and drained diesel, put compressed air in top of tank and blew all the gunk out the line. We replaced the line and fuel filter also. Do not attempt this without removing the fuel filter which is attached to fuel pump by way of fuel line or you will mess up the fuel pump. Also in the process of changing head gasket, did you have the head checked for internal crack? If the mower was given to you, I personally would find out what the cause is. It is a great mower. I just had the head checked on mine also and it cost me $54.50. You can read my post on G5200 overheat and it will give details on the gaskets I changed. Good luck

/ Blue/white exhaust smoke - what is causing this? #14  
Blowing air in the tank is OK but don't pressurize the tank. I would remove the cap and back flush with air through a line, then flush through the fill hole w/diesel. We blew a tank seam on a brand new tractor back in the mid 70's. Had ice in the line. Warranty covered the tank. I have an air gun with a fitting on which came a clear plastic hose, maybe 1/4" ID. The operation of the air blow gun also creates a vacuum in this fitting so the other end of the hose could be slipped on a small tube and inserted into the tank to suck out any liquid or small solids. Works good in blind bolt holes in engine blocks when you have chased threads and are cleaning out the holes.